Getting some sleep

Options
Seawitch
Seawitch Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I'm new to Versus Arthritis and apologise if this topic has been discussed previously, but I have arthritis in my hips, the left one causing the most pain and find it's at it's most intense when I lie down to sleep and especially when I try to alter my sleeping position. I've been told that a memory foam mattress would be better for me and wondered if you all agree and have advice on the best one to get.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,047
    Options

Hello @Seawitch and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have arthritis in your hips and this is causing you problems sleeping. Have a look at the following from our website, hopefully it may help.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi @Seawitch, I also found sleeping painful with my hip, pre-operation. Memory foam topper helped, along with cushion between knees and hot water bottle on hip.

• Azzak
    Azzak Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi @Seawitch I was diagnosed with Osteo in 2007 and was suffering with lack of sleep due to pain in back and hips over recent years. Three years ago we purchased an Emma mattress, mega expense, after reading all of their reviews, however, it made absolutely no difference but we are all different. When I had Covid recently I slept in my daughters room as she was staying away. She has a standard mattress with a mattress topper and I must admit it was the best nights sleep I have had in a long time, I am now considering buying one for my bed, could be a problem though with buying sheets with the depth of the Emma mattress and then a topper too. I always say that you can cope with most things if you can get a good nights sleep so it is important to do so but easier said than done I know. I too will be looking at noddingtonpete's links for tips and I hope you can find something to help you get a good nights sleep. Take care.

• DebbieL
    DebbieL Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi @Seawitch ,

I have Osteoarthritis in my lower spine and get a lot of pain in my hips. I like to sleep on my front or my side but both positions were painful with a normal mattress.

I bought a 4” memory foam topper which has made a big difference. I can sleep on my front as there is less curvature in my spine. My hips used to ache with lying on my side and this pain is much less.

I take 2 x 30/500 cocodamol to sleep at night but had terrible pain turning over in bed. My GP prescribed nortriptyline and for some reason this vastly reduced my pain when turning over in bed. So I can more comfortably change position when my hips ache.

I have tried a special pillow between my knees and this sometimes helps.

I would definitely recommend a memory foam topper for your mattress.

I hope this works for you

Take care

Debbie