Arthritis and cold water swimming

Bluebits
Bluebits Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi Everyone, just joined the community and wanted to ask if others enjoy cold water swimming. I've been cold swimming for over a year now but since having covid 6 weeks ago, the arthritis in my upper body has flared up, particularly painful in my hands. Maybe just a coincidence since covid ???

I wear 5 mm gloves but find that I can only stay in the water prob max 10 mins and my right hand in particular, literally freezes up.

I take a hot water bottle with me and have just purchased hand heat warming pads for after swim. Gutted, I was body boarding and in the water for over 40 mins 6 was ago 😪. Such is life, hey ho, I'm alive 🤷🤷😊. Anyone suffered anything similar??

Thank you

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Bluebits

welcome to the community. Cold water swimming sounds wonderful. After 40 years of arthritis I have given up trying towork out why my arthritis flares. It could be i relation to Covid, I believe others have mentioned that and it can be related to stress and life events too. The most important thing is to look after yourself and be gentle whilst you are flaring and if things do not ease let your rheumatology team know. I really hope you are able to return to your cold watr swimming soon it sounds wonderful

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Bluebits
    Bluebits Member Posts: 4

Hi Sharon

Many thanks for responding to my post, appreciated. I need to read up more on this condition. The comment you made about not always knowing why your arthritis flared and possible causes was really very helpful. There may be a myriad of causes I guess but staying in tune with ourselves and looking after our physical and mental health has to be a priority .. I hear you. I'm thinking now that my expectations of what I'm physically able to do at times may be too high; I'm not in the same position I was 6 weeks ago so have to be totally present to what is happening at any particular moment. ...and be gentle with myself ..

Thank you ..all sound advice and I shall enjoy my cold water swimming as and when I'm able.

Best wishes to you too Sharon