Ibuprofen makes osteoarthritis/ synovitis worse?

Read that a few days ago, so decided to stop taking tablets. Haven’t got anything on prescription, just self manage. Arthritis both hips, knees and lower back, so decided 3 years ago to loose weight and do physio exercises. Did loose weight, but put some back on again, so have cut out sweet stuff. Arthritis has got worse, mainly stiffness. I was taking 2 ibuprofen morning and evening, and lanzoperol (which I got when I told doc about tablets. Not taking ibuprofen lasted 4 days, was in so much pain yesterday, that I did take 2 tablets. Later had my Saturday evening one drink, slept for 5 hours and feel much better today. So will just go on taking ibuprofen, but might ask about Naproxen, but think they were not a good idea either!

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @cookie2

Sounds like you are really pro-active in managing your arthritis pain, but it might be an idea to chat to your GP if you want to cut down or change your meds.

I've posted a link below to other ways of managing your pain, including gentle exercise and reviewing your medication:

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Morning @cookie2

Oh dear I think this is a new study that's told you NSAIDs are bad for knee osteoarthritis.

Thing is if they are helping you and your Dr is happy for you to have them sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

Ideally we wouldn't take in anything other than healthy food or water, but you are in pain. ((()))

Take care

Toni x