Newly diagnosed osteoarthritis

Faithhope22
Faithhope22 Member Posts: 23
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello my name is Julie l am age 65 and recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees l think it would help to cope if l could share with somebody going through the same thing Thankyou

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @Faithhope22 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your knees and looking to share experiences. You are certainly in the right place as we have a lot of members who have the same thing. You can do a search on this in the community, see

and our website has some useful information which may also help

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Faithhope22

Thank you Peter

• Faithhope22

• Faithhope22

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 176

Hi. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee about 16 months ago. I remember feeling quite anxious about how I was going to cope with loss of mobility and how quickly my symptoms had got worse. After being diagnosed, my Doctor prescribed me Naproxen for the pain and Omeprazole to protect the stomach. I have to admit that the Naproxen does help a lot with the pain and helps me to cope with everyday life. I also was seen by a Physiotherapist at my local hospital, who gave me some exercises to do, then after 6 sessions signed me off and advised to do them daily if possible. I have found that some days are good and some bad regarding the pain and exercises. I have finally told myself to slow down on the bad days and take things slowly on the good days.

I have also found it hard to accept that I cannot do as much as I used to do (I enjoyed walking and would spend hours out working in the garden). Now I manage about half an hour in the garden, but have taken up other interests to occupy myself, like doing jigsaws, sudoku and I love reading.

Also, I saw an advert somewhere about Versus Arthritis and decided to join this Community. It has helped me enormously to be able to come on here and join in with discussions and realise that there are many lovely people out there who are in the same situation as myself.

Anyway, I hope that you will join in with others on here.

Take care.🙂

• Faithhope22

Hello Fran54

my experience started three months ago we’re l twisted right knee then it got better but other one started three weeks after that it’s been not great. l like you do physio at home every other day but unfortunately one of them irritated the knee it is a shock as l had no pain at all before, it does stop you in your tracks.Sorry to hear about your situation and thank you for sharing your experience wish you well

• Annas1234
    Annas1234 Member Posts: 2

Hi,

I also are newly diagnosed with right knee hip and lower spine and find it really difficult walking my dogs daily. Please can I ask what pain medication you find helps, I have tried alsorts as well as heat gel pads and ice cooling.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Annas1234 and welcome to the online community, I hope you find friendly help and support from our members, all of whom have experience of living with arthritis.

You've asked about what pain medications can help with your knee, hip and spine pain. Finding the right pain medications will vary from person to person and what works for one person isn't necessarily going to suit another. It's best to talk to your GP or consultant about what will work for you. I've posted a link below on some of the different treatments, including drug treatments, that can help:

It's good that you're getting out to walk each day as exercise can help to keep you mobile - perhaps some gentle stretching exercises will also help.

Do keep posting and let us know how you're getting on.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Faithhope22

Hi Anna it is probably best to speak to GP about that l myself take ibuprofen for swelling & pain and also frozen peas wrapped in tea towel, l also have do so leg strengthening exercises for my knees from NHS physio l am learning not to over do it which can be hard to except l know l hope all goes well with you . Faithhope22

• Faithhope22

Hi annas1234 sorry l called you Anna l am still getting used to these chat sites as l am new and have never used one before.

• Faithhope22

Hello not having a good day today awful anxiety taking medication l am trying to be positive l know this must be normal when life changes like this.

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 218

Hi @Faithhope22 hope you are feeling a bit better today. When you first get diagnosed life is a bit of a rollercoaster - some days feel good and others not so good. That's why we are all here as a community and a group of friends to support each other so keep posting and chatting. It will level out with a bit of time.

• Faithhope22

Hello loggiemod thank you so much for your kind advise feeling a bit better today it is a rollercoaster as you say and l never liked them. Thank you

• Faithhope22

Faithhope22 Just a question,having trouble making arrangements with people because of pain in my knees l am still getting use to this any suggestions l know it’s hard for everyone l am trying to do mind over matter thankyou

• Faithhope22

Faithhope22

Very best wishes to All you will be in my thoughts this Christmas X

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 943

Hi Faithhope22, the first time the word arthritis was used in my diagnosis I was in my early forties but I’d been suffering with pain years before this. I have it in my back and neck which are the worst points but also in my hip and feet. You are doing well to recalibrate your expectations and realise you have to slow down on bad pain days, it took me a lot longer to realise that, and even when I got my first wheelchair recently I saw it as a way to do more and keep going longer which ultimately has only led to disappointment. So you definitely have the right mental approach.

Hoping you’re having a lovely Christmas and taking it easy. All the best.

• Faithhope22

Hello keef

Sorry to hear you have had a horrible time of it from such a young age.

Hope you are having a peaceful and lovely christmas. l think l am trying not to think what l can’t do which is really really hard to come to terms with and there are down days as we all know

l must admit l was apprehensive Christmas Day going to daughters and seeing my lovely grandsons as l was afraid l would be in pain but all was not too bad and had lovely day maybe the glass or two of wine helped , it is a tough old journey for us .All the very best to you.

• Faithhope22

Well Christmas Day caught up with me used daughters stairs ( we live bungalow ) so knee wasn’t up to it leg still needs building up with physio strengthening exercises it let me know last night real flare and l think it has toothache today , as they say one step forward anyway seeing a consultant new year oh well. Faithhope22

• Faithhope22

faithhope22

I should add the positive to the above it was so lovely to spend time with family and see grandsons.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

@Faithhope22 , for what it's worth I think you're dealing with this very well. If I may offer one suggestion - we learn to recogise when there is going to be payback. We can't stop it happening, without changing our plans. Sometimes that's a wise thing to do but sometimes, as with your Christmas Day, we decide that payback is worth it. If you know you have a tough day coming up try to take it easy the day before and the day after. I usually find that extra gentle exercises help. If you're on some pain relief (sorry, you've probably already told us) try to space it out so that you have some available for bedtime. Good luck with it all.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Faithhope22

yes l agree you do have to pace yourself with this what was normal to just meet up with people l still find it’s not a nice feeling to not be able too it is getting yourself in a different mind set l know thanks for your kind advice.

• Faithhope22

Hello friends

l haven’t posted for a while l had mri this wk so waiting to see findings , physio said l was ready for half squats whether l stood on leg for too long but pain wasn’t great like searing toothache having to sell car as clutch l can’t use it’s certainly no easy road is it l know we’re all struggling in our own way and trying to find different ways to cope, thinking of everyone here x

• Faithhope22

Faithhope22

Hello reaching out had results MRI not great

trying to get my mind around it all, it’s comforting to know l can come here somehow it feels better to have somewhere to go we’re everyone understands what it’s like thanks