Prescription Costs

Hi there :)))

I’m an Irish student looking at moving to England, I have been diagnosed and receiving treatment for RA for the last 6 years.

I am really struggling to find information on the cost of specific prescriptions for RA treatment. I have been prescribed Golimumab for the last 6 years which is subsidized by the Irish government.

I was wondering if anyone has any links or information on an average cost of this prescription in England? Anything at all would be a massive help :))

cheers!

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @sunnysidescrambled and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you currently take Golimumab and wondering about the cost in the UK. It may be available on the NHS in which case the UK Government will subsidise it, but other members may have more info on this. I've put a link to our factsheet below

You could also try calling the Helpline as they might have more up to date information regarding your question.

Please keep posting and let us know how you get on

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    edited 29. Nov 2022, 22:14

Hi

I have no idea about the drug you are on but for me my infusion drug costs just under £10,000 per year.

They changed me a few years back to a cheaper version called a bio similar which is roughly half the price.

If you went private here in the UK then you would be charged full price and pay for every single thing from the docs time down to a plaster and every sheet of paper.

On the NHS this is all free.

i have no idea how different it is in Ireland compared to the UK but the first thing you will need to do is sign up at a GP surgery once you get here.

Im not sure if hospital notes are shared cross border so id suggest looking on your gp and hospital sites in Ireland for a SARS request form (subject access request). you can then apply to get all your gp and hospital notes and radiology sent to you on disc or direct download if theve changed over to the new system and bring them with you for the gp and hospital over here.

As youve previously had treatment in Ireland once youve signed up to a GP they can refer you to a rhumatologist at a NHS hospital and treatment is free.

Prescriptions per item are a rip off at £9.35 per item and for people with arthritis who need long term meds it can cost an arm and a leg. ive had mine 6 months now and prescriptions of around £350 so far.

you can check here if you would be exempt https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-prescription-prepayment-certificates-ppcs

if you did have to pay its a great idea to purchase a pre payment prescription which is unlimited number of requests for £30.25 for 3 months or £108.10 for 12 months

good luck with the move.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

I was going to suggest a prepayment prescription too @sunnysidescrambled

I don't think you will be paying for your goli here though just the prescription charge.

I hope you like it over here☺️

Toni x