My experience and finding out how other people cope

Options
Lorraine55
Lorraine55 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I have just joined, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my knees 6 months ago. My left knee is more painful. My doctor prescribed amitriptyline which helps me sleep but does nothing for the pain. I also have co codamol but he thought I could reduce them with the help of amitriptyline. I am having physiotherapy and was given a crutch. I am finding the not being able to walk for more than 5 mins difficult and the pain if I try to walk any longer unbearably. This is such a shock to me as I have always loved walking and being out. It’s the speed it seems to have came on that I find difficult to understand and every day I hope the pain when walking will become less. I’m interested in reading other people’s stories and finding out more as I think I have been in denial.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Lorraine55 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in both knees and have been prescribed co-codamol and amitriptyline to help with the pain, but are finding it difficult to walk. I fully understand that this has come as a bit of a shock - we have all been there. I've pit a couple of links in below from our website which you might find of use, have a look through them.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lorraine55
    Options

Thank you for the information. I have made an appointment to chat face to face with my Gp. I don’t understand why I can sit, walk around the house with very little pain yet as soon as I’m out doors and walk more than 5 mins the pain in my left knee is unbearable. I will read some more on other peoples posts/comments and the helpful links you have kindly sent. Many thanks.

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

Having had osteoarthritis in both knees for many years, I've discovered the hard way that the level of pain fluctuates but the best thing you can do is keep moving. Have you tried using sticks when walking outdoors. They are a real help. Don't push yourself too hard but try to do a bit more every day. Exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee take pressure off the joint. You'll find lots more ideas on here. Not all of them will work for you, but sometimes a small change can make a big difference.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 180
    Options

Hi when walking outdoors I wear comfortable fitting trainers, which have a reasonably stout sole and fit well around the instep. I also find that lace ups fit more snuggly than slip on shoes. In the colder weather I also wear thicker socks which help as well.

I find that walking on the level is easier for me and puts less strain on my knee joint, whereas walking up and down slopes is quite painful and uncomfortable. Sometimes I will walk further just to keep on the flat.😏

Physio exercises help and you need to do them on a regular basis but listen to your body. I find that if I do overdo the exercises then I will cut them down for a while or stop for a few days, then start up gradually again.

It really is all about how you feel each day and doing what you can on the good days and less on the bad days.

Best of all, be kind to yourself.

Take care.🙂

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi Fran54

i wear walking boots most of the time lol. I have a dog so good excuse. Wearing thick socks is good too.

i also wear a light scarf around my next in this colder weather, and extra layers. If you have arthritis it pays to keep warm.

like you I find slopes and uneven ground tricky at times,before RA I didn’t give it a second thought. I also take a thumb stick with me on a dog walk for extra balance. I rest when I know I’ve overdone things. My aim is to keep mobile.

• Lorraine55
    Options

Hi Fif

I have recently started physio. She gave me a crutch to use. I am doing the exercises she has given me. My mum is 85 and has osteoarthritis in her knees but she doesn’t have the pain. I think this is what I was comparing myself to but it seems to affect everyone differently. My GP said I can have the injection in my knee but this can make osteoarthritis worse in the long term.

Thank you for the advice it’s appreciated.

• Lorraine55
    Options

Hi Fran54

I wear sketchers but have ordered new balance as I read they are good. I agree walking on the level is easier I didn’t even think of that but walking where i stay it’s very hilly so that explains why I seem to only get 5 mins before I’m unable to go further then turn round and hill back to house. Thank you for that. I’m awaiting the good days I read a lot where this is said. I just have the same every day. Hopefully the physio exercises will help.

• Fran54
    Options

Hi Woofy

I used to do a lot of walking, but it is not so easy now. I don't have a dog but do enjoy birdwatching. I find this does help to distract from the pain/discomfort which is important and also keeps me mobile. Yes, keeping warm while out helps as well and now with the colder weather I will be getting the thermal clothing out as well.😊

• Fran54
    Options

Hi Lorraine55

I was given physio exercises now about a year ago. To start with I did overdo it and have tried to learn to pace myself. Some days are good, and I do what I am comfortable with and the bad days, if there is too much discomfort, then I will leave them for another day. I do feel better having done them and now my knee does not give way like it used to at the beginning of this journey.

I say journey as no-one knows what it will entail, but I try and keep positive and just take each day as it comes.

Take care.🙂

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 707
    Options

Hi @Lorraine55

As others have said I think keeping moving the joints is necessary. I was back up to walking 50-60kms a week earlier this year - though only on flat surfaces. Then my dog died and I reduced my walking as I didn't have the same drive. My knees started getting really sore and stiff and luckily at the time a long term referral to physio came through so I'm now just about half way through a 12 week physio course. As well as that I got another dog so my walking has increased again. I was just commenting to my wife this morning how my knee pain has reduced considerably.