Newly diagnosed

I have had Crohn's Disease for over 25 years but have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and am struggling with knee pain and knee locking. Despite Crohn's and various surgeries I've been physically fit up to now. I assumed my knee pain was inflammatory arthritis which is linked to Crohn's but it's not been found. At 70 after being able to go on 3-4 mile walks my mobility became severely hampered this year. It coincided with having to go on a liquid diet (using prescribed drinks only) and I think it has been a factor. My knees lock painfully at night and my sleep is very disturbed sometimes only 3-4 hours in all. I try to exercise in the day but am tired and the pain has become constant. I've been told to take paracetamol but not NSAIDS as they are not good for my Crohn's although I have been allowed to try Celecoxib which isn't working, and so have been prescribed tramadol. It isn't bringing the relief I expected. How do people manage knee pain? I try to rest between housework and cooking (not for me, but for family), and shopping (I used to enjoy a day out shopping but not now). As soon as I rest my knees lock and unlocking them causes pain. How do people manage this? I had some physio but getting it on NHS seems to be a few leaflets and paying for it is expensive. I can't believe how quickly it has come on and is changing my lifestyle so much.

Comments

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113

Hello @Chrissie_52 welcome to our friendly community.

I understand that have had Crohn's Disease for over 25 years but have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and am struggling with knee pain and knee locking. I have attached a link that may be of help to you:

Do keep posting and you will find other members will connect with you.

All the best.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 176

Hi Chrissie_52

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with knee pain, I can sympathise with you as I have Osteoarthritis in my right knee. Apart from taking painkillers and resting when I can, I do ask my hubby to help out with some household chores. Although now there is just the two of us, there still seems plenty of clearing up to do🙄

Do you ask the family to help with any jobs at all? Also shopping wise my hubby and I do a weekly shop now, as I find it much easier and not so tiring.

I also do physio exercises given to me but do take a look at some of the exercises that are on this site as they may help and be more appropriate. I have good days and bad days and try and pace myself in what I do each day.

I don't know if anything I have said may help but be kind to yourself.

Take care.🙂

• Chrissie_52
    Chrissie_52 Member Posts: 4
    edited 18. Apr 2023, 16:27

Thanks for your advice. I have found sleeping better with an increase in the dose of pregabalin I usually take and it is helping me to feel less pain as well as sleeping longer.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398

Hi Chrissie_52,

Knee-locking is awful, I found my knees had a mind of their own and would lock getting in and out of the car for no good reason, getting up from the sofa or in the middle of a swim. The stabbing pain that accompanied these events brought me out in a cold sweat so I thoroughly empathise with you.

I have found a deep tissue massaging gun helps soothe and maintains suppleness but it has been the physio and exercise which has helped my muscles strengthen to support the joints which has made the greatest difference. I also found some supplements I was taking made the locking worse - Glucosamine and Type 2 Collagen were the culprits oddly enough.

I take a broad range of natural AI's and painkillers, such as Bromelain, Turmeric, Black Walnut capsules and CBD capsules and I use a TENS machine. There's some very good info on the VA website about the various options out there including gels and creams. I am a keen walker as you are and also cycle too. In order to do these pain-free I smear on Voltorol 12 hour gel, Hemp Gel and FlexiSeq before encasing both knees in elasticated supports. I then feel ready to take on the world!

Hope some of these might be useful to you on your own journey.

Best wishes,

Jon