Newbie feeling down

Options
Vrans
Vrans Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

😕 Newly diagnosed with Hip Osteoarthritus, very disappointed as only in my 40's and love the outdoors, hiking etc.

Looking for tips on how to slow down the progression through diet and excercise?

Does glucosamine/Chroiditin/Collagen work?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Vrans  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I note that you are recently diagnosed and would like advice from forum members as to what steps you can take to manage/slow its progression. 

You may find this link to our website useful:

Also, here’s a relevant discussion in the forum which you may wish to read/join in on:

Alternatively do start a new discussion. 

I hope you receive some useful feedback and are able to continue with your outdoor activities. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,012
    Options

It’s a hell of a diagnosis isn’t it? I know how you feel. I was very active and fit and it started on me in my 30s although I didn’t know what is was back then.

I’ve tried all the supplements and I had limited success with iMove and separately cod liver oil.

Unfortunately I didn’t know the damage my body was suffering with constant stress and IBS.

As I’ve said on other’s threads, stay as active as you can for as long as you can. I kind of gave up because of the constant pain a while back as it was too much and it surprised me how quickly I got worse after that.

• Skinny Keef
    Options

Welcome BTW.

Great bunch of people here, kept me going through a bad patch a few days ago.

Really helps me just having people who get it, to chat to.

Hope you get as much out of being here as I have.

• Vrans
    Options

Thanks, I haven't tried iMove, I take Jointace with Collagen and cod liver oil, I recently started taking collagen powder for my IBS, which seems to be helping....Do you think the IBS has contributed to the deteriation of your joints due to not being able to absorb nutrients effectively? I have IBS-D, so eat the wrong food and it goes right through me :(

I see iMove has Hyarulonic acid too which is not in Jointace.

• Skinny Keef
    Options

yes absolutely IBS is to blame for my arthritis. I asked one of my doctors a while back when I was still trying to get my head around what was going on with my body.

She said your career took a massive toll on your body and it’s all linked to the stress and IBS. Definitely down to not getting the nutrients out of the food. I was extremely fit in my 20s and 30s. I was doing martial arts 2 or 3 times a week, I trained all the way up to Black Belt, I always ate a healthy diet. Then I lived away for a few years and continued keeping fit with Surfing and other board sports for a long as I could until I had to start seeing a private osteo as the pain started creeping in more and more. I’ve always had a painful back on and off. mainly if i was standing doing one thing for a while and then went to sit down or say get into a car or onto a motorcycle it would be really painful whilst my body adjusted to the new position. I thought it was normal and everyone was like it, until the pain started to be there more and more often.

I dread to think how bad I would be now if I hadn’t had an active fit lifestyle back then, I’m bad enough as it is.

My IBS continued after I left my stressful career and would still be bad even now if it wasn’t for the opioids I take slowing my guts down to that of a normal person. If I come off them for 24 hrs it’s reach for the imodium time.

• maggiemuppet
    Options

Interesting, I didn't know IBS and arthritis could be linked.

For me sitting at a desk for a lot of my later working life definitely contributed to my lack of mobility; I was never into sports or the outdoor life, a bit of a lazy mare if truth be told. On retirement, and suffering arthritis mainly in hips and shoulders, I've made myself walk more and taken up yoga both for stretching and balance but also for mental health.

Wish I'd been more active in my 40s and 50s so would recommend you move around as much as you are able.

Wishing you well.

• Vrans
    Options

Thanks for sharing both, I didn't realise IBS could have such a powerful effect on joints, I am currently trying to resolve my IBS by slowly moving to a Paleo diet, I've been Gluten-free for a few years and strongly feel all the other grains don't do you much good which leave you with potatoes! think I'm eating too much spuds! Hope you manage to resolve your IBS and aren't dependent on opiods for to long.

Yes, walking is soo good for you and cycling even better