tingling in legs

Options
Saxophone
Saxophone Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

i have osteoarthitis of the neck . Last week i noticed tingling in my legs and slight wobble whrn brnding over sometimes . Any toughts please and does this happen to msny of you .

Comments

• Saxophone
    Options

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

Yes.

I have osteo in my spine, including neck.

Just this evening I could have sworn I had a spider crawling up my leg. I checked 3 times, pulling up my tracksuit bottoms and leggins under them. Happens a lot.

• Skinny Keef
    Options

Don’t get me started on wobbles either!!

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 149
    Options

Hello Saxophone.

Have you reported this symptom to your GP? If not I'd suggest you do so without delay as it may indicate the need for specific treatment. Although OA often progresses very slowly, it's never wise to ignore possibly damaging pressure on spinal nerves.

I am fast approaching 80 and have a 30+ year history of spinal OA so am familiar with some of its symptoms. Mine have been under acceptable control for a long time but I now have similar issues to yours and was recently sent by my GP for an up-to-date MRI scan.

The findings have led to referral to a spinal surgeon so I am currently waiting for an appointment. I was also given a list of further signs that should be regarded as sufficiently serious to necessitate a visit to A & E so am hoping degeneration remains slow and the appointment comes first!

If you are in any doubt please don't risk things becoming seriously limiting. If x-rays/scans show all is as well as can be expected that's good but NHS waiting lists are long and it isn't worth ignoring new symptoms if the worst scenario may be avoided by early intervention.

We are all different in terms of symptoms and rate of degeneration but do let us know what progress you make and how you cope in the meantime.

• Skinny Keef
    Options

Woke up again last night with left leg total paralysis. Third time it’s happened. I don’t panic anymore i just wiggle my back until it comes back to life. Normally doesn’t take too long.

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 149
    Options

Your account of temporary paralysis concerns me greatly. It is one of the signs I was told to report immediately as a medical emergency needing an urgent visit to A&E.

In my experience the development of new symptoms in OA tends to begin with 'small doses' then progresses with episodes becoming longer and more resistant to home management. For the paralysis you describe to become permanent would be for me a very scary prospect.

I would urge you not to risk getting caught in a potentially serious situation over the coming holiday period when hospitals will be run by a skeleton staff. At least alert your GP or ring 111 for advice.

• Saxophone
    Options

Thanks for comments - my physio did all the reflexes for myelopothy and they were negative so I am reassured but will be aware of any new symptoms

• Skinny Keef
    Options

Sorry I have only just seen this post.

Well I spoke to my osteopath about it and she said to go to A&E if it doesn’t return to normal with some manipulation. I really panicked the first time, but I know when it’s coming now as it is preceded by feeling sick.

I do find the prospect of it becoming permanent very scary, especially as the first time it happened was only a day or two after my doc told me to give up motorcycles and any activity that has a risk of falling or tripping as I was in danger of spinal cord injury. 😳

its a life sucks day today as I’m just laying on bed in Pain waiting for the drugs to kick in.