New to arthritis

Joca
Joca Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone

Last January I had a fall on some black ice and injured my right knee. After several checks, MRI, and speaking to two different consultants I was told I had osteoarthritis and the little cartridge i had was severely damaged. They said they could operate on my cartridge but it would be pointless because the pain is from the arthritis. I'm 41 and starting to loose all confidence when out walking, especially with my dog,, and in these wintry conditions. Apparently I can't have surgery or injections for at least 15yrs. I have a full time job where I'm out and about in the community and at the moment I feel useless. I can't do the things I could a year ago and I'm scared about damaging my knee more. How do I get over this? I'm only prescribed cocodamol for the pain. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @Joca and welcome to the online community,

I understand you’ve been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in your knee and, after a fall last year, have badly damaged your cartilage. This has made you lose confidence when out walking, especially in these icy conditions and you are wondering about how you can get over this.

Confidence plays such a large factor after a fall and that’s quite understandable. It can take a while to feel safe again. It might help if you did some exercises at home which can build up your muscle strength and flexibility around your damaged knee and help you to feel more confident. Have a look at the Versus Arthritis webpage that I’ve linked to below - it has some gentle exercises that you can do to build up your knee. I’ve also added a link to some information about knee pain in general that might be useful:

All our members have experience of living with some form of arthritis. We’re a friendly and supportive group and I’m sure some members will come along to give you some helpful suggestions.

Do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

In addition to the exerciises how about a walking aid? Sticks, crutches and rollators all make balance more secure for many of us. A friend takes her dog out on her disability scooter. (The friend rides not the ďog!) As for ice, how about grips on your shoes?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Joca
    Joca Member Posts: 3

Hi, my mum has given me a walking stick to help but I feel a bit embarrassed to use it. I know its stupid and just me being vain so I need to get used to using it. My shoes are quite good in icy conditions and when I tell myself "walk with confidence" I'm OK but most of the time my brain says "when you walk on this you will fall and injur your knee more" I think I need to get used to the stick and use it more. As for picturing your friends dog riding the mobility scooter that did make me chuckle 😃 thanks for the advice x

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 270

Hi Joca.

I was recently diagnosed with R A. I know exactly where you are coming from. My friends husband made me a thumb stick a few years back, and I have taken to using that whist walking my dog. I felt embarrassed, almost defeated in a way having to use it.

its been useful though and given me that extra bit of stability. My worry is if I go down I won’t be able to get back up again lol, as kneeling is not doable for me right now. Maybe a walking pole will make you feel less conscious, you can get folding ones.

it really is just about feeling safe after all. Sticks can be useful for other things, like bashing nettles out of the way too lol.

• Maziknoun
    Maziknoun Member Posts: 3

Hi there. I'm new here too with very similar situation. I'm 43 and I've had arthritis in my knees for about 8years. However, my dog ran into me in March and I dislocated it. This decimated what cartlidge was left. I also fractured patella and damaged ligaments. I've had a tibial tubercle transfer. It wasn't succesful for me, but has been successful for a friend of mine. It may be worth discussing with your consultant. As you are so young, it could buy you some years before needing an arthroplasty. I wish you all the luck in the future and please.keep us posted.