Replacement knees

Options
Whiteheart
Whiteheart Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I’ve had both knees replaced plus my left shoulder ect ect due to arthritis, and last weekend I slipped at the top of the stairs and fell down right to the bottom, I was in a right mess, my left leg went in front of me and my right leg went underneath me facing the back, and that’s how I went to the bottom of the stairs, I cut the bottom of my right leg, my right knee proper swelled up, and bruised really bad, I hurt my groan on my right hand side, my left leg was bruised but no we’re near as bad as my right leg.I live on my own, but managed to get on my feet, took me ages but I got up. I didn’t phone the doctor and I didn’t go to the hospital.now that was 10 days ago, and I can’t bend my right knee, it’s still Bradley bruised, and it proper hurts if I try turning it. I had 3 operations on that knee when they put the false one in as I had problems with it, feels like it’s starting all over again, I nearly rang my doctor this morning as I’m still getting a lot of pain from it, but I didn’t, but besides all that, yesterday I started getting pains in the side of my head, and still have them there especially when I touch the side of my head, I don’t remember banging my head, I just don’t know weather to ring the doctors or not, should I just see if it gets better.

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @Whiteheart

Welcome and thank you for joining our online community.

It seems like it would be a good idea to call the doctor or 111 to get yourself a check-up. If you do feel any of the pain is getting worse or too difficult to handle, we'd urge to call 999 instead to make sure you get the right medical care.

Please do keep us updated.

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Oh dear! That sounds like a horrible and painful experience. You were very brave to deal with it alone but, really, I think you need proper medical advice on this. It might all just be bruising, twisted bits and banged bits but it might be something that really needs attention. Personally, I'd ring 111 for advice but don't just neglect it and hope.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Whiteheart
    Options

Thank you for your advice.

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

Agree with stickywicket. I moved about with a broken hip for six weeks before eventually going to A &E. I thought it was just badly bruised and would get better itself. I should have got it checked out much earlier and I'd advise you to do the same. Let's know how you get on.

• Whiteheart
    Options

Can’t bend my right knee at all, and we’ll let you know what I decide to do thank you.

• Whiteheart
    Options

I ended up going to see my doctor who sent me to a and e, had alsorts done c.t. Scan, knee X-ray, bloods,ect,ect, anyway my bloods showed that I have an infection, so I’m on antibiotics at the moment, plus I’m having a flare up with my arthritis, the flare up is 50 times more painful than the ordinary arthritis, it’s terrible. What’s this all about ?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I'm not a doc but I'd guess that it's about getting an infection in your knee due to the fall. I remember you said previously that you'd had three operation s on that knee when they put the replacement in. I can see your reluctance to involve the medics again but I do recall being told, when I had my own knee revision, that there was an ongoing risk of infection with revisions. I've been lucky so far.

I hope the antibios clear yours quickly but, if you near the end of them and still have the infection, do go back to ask for more or for further help. Letting them run out first would just enable the infection to get another toehold.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright