Dental work after hip replacement

Options

10 days after hip replacement and a large filling has fallen out of my tooth. I think it will have to be extracted this time. Causing a lot of pain. I was due for checkup a couple of weeks ago but as I wasn't then having any problems thought I would wait until after.

I now see on the Internet that no dental work can be carried out for three months in case infection gets into new hip. I was never told this.

I will ring my dentist tomorrow but can anyone verify for me tonight that there is nothing I can do. Already feeling weepy today as still got pain in hip ten days after op. I am walking and exercising good though. I am normally a upbeat person but really feeling delicate at moment. Thanks everyone

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I'm sorry to read what must be disappointing news foŕ you. I've not actually hearď that we should wait 3 months but I do remember my husband was advised to get a dental check up before a THR and get done anything needed. Why not get in touch with your surgeon to check?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Thanks stickywicket, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Dianes1 Shortly before my THR I had a dental examination and asked about this as I'd heard you needed antibiotics when having dental treatment after joint replacements. I was told that this was no longer the case, although I think in the USA they are still prescribing a lot more antibiotics than in the UK.

But I agree with @stickywicket that you should check with your surgeon and also your dentist. It'd be interesting to hear what they say as it could be something where different surgeons and dentists have differing ideas. Different experts often have different opinions. There are many jokes about economists on this point:

1. If you laid all the economists in the world end to end, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.
    2. Economics is the only field in which two people can share a Nobel Prize for saying the complete opposite.
    3. For every economist there exists an equal and opposite economist.

😊😊

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi RogerBill love the economist jokes, made me chuckle but so true.

Found out my surgeon is on holiday and someone else will be calling me back, but I won't hold my breath. Dentist said it is up to me, saying that if there was a problem with an infection setting in it would be my fault which I completely understand. I have found that as long as I brush everytime I eat it seems to be OK. I have booked for early February, but will book emergency appt if necessary. Dentist receptionist said surgeon should have informed me. At least I know for next time. My surgeon is writing to my gp about having the other hip done asap, but the way I am feeling at the moment I am not in that much of a rush ha ha. Merry Christmas to you. x