My knees ache when I lie down

Options
Baloo
Baloo Member Posts: 398
edited 24. Dec 2022, 14:56 in Living with arthritis

OK. Thats weird. My knees are stiff and I can live with it, but when I lie down they ache to the point I can't rest. I hear of folks can't sleep from pain, but to me this is another first for the weirdness of arthritis. I can sit comfortably all day and then when I lie down for a bit of a rest, off they go.

Tagged:

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options

Hi Baloo,

I think pain is more noticeable at night as we aren't distracted from it like we are during the day.

Do you sleep on your side or back? If you are a side sleeper, a knee cushion or a pillow between your legs may help (needs to be just the right thickness) so you may need to experiment. If you lie on your back a small pillow or similar under your knees may work.

Do you take pain killers? If so, can you space them out so that you can take your last dose 20 mins or so before bed?

Perhaps you could listen to a something on Insight Timer or a podcast or some relaxing music so that you relax properly before bed too.

Speedalong

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Baloo
    Options

I certainly want to eliminate possible causes of this knee ache when lie down, that might be my own fault. Im a back sleeper so I tried with and without a cushion. My painkiller doses are down to half, from missed doses all the time. My walking distance is down from taking taxis, so I'm waiting for some better chances to have a longer hobble around to see if my knees will loosen up

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

@Baloo try some of Versus Arthritis's knee exercises. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-knees/

Sometimes, in our ordinary lives, some muscles get neglected so a comprehensive exercise plan can make up for that.

Mind you, I'd still save some pain relief for bedtime😆

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Baloo
    edited 24. Dec 2022, 23:19
    Options

Thank you @stickywicket let's do that. Thats, you did say, nip out to buy a bag of Brussel sprouts and a carrot (3.000 steps). One set knee exercises (one). Don't miss that late night painkiller again (usual dose). Happy Christmas.

• speedalong
    Options

Sounds like progress, Baloo. The challenge is to make it routine (reason to walk, exercises and painkillers at night.) Hope you slept better.

Speedalong

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Baloo
    Options

I did rest @speedalong thank you. My knees have gone quiet. I kicked out the knee wedge first, and tried resting on my good side, and found there was enough relief to get some rest. Then I moved on to the exercises.

• speedalong
    Options

Sounds like progress, Baloo.

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

When I have this problem, I wear an elasticated knee brace in bed. Works every time.

All the best,

CCM

• Baloo
    Options

Knee brace in bed it is then @CCM. I happen to have some knee compression sleeves which look suitable.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

If you're taking more than one type of painkillers, try layering them. I take 2 x 30 mg codeine 4 times a day and boost up with 2 x paracetamol half way between the codeine doses. I can't take anti inflammatories and GP suggested this routine which seems to do the trick.

trish x

• Baloo
    Options

@Trish9556 yes, when things get a bit rough after a few days of it I take an ibuprofen (one total) on top of the paracetamols. I can't say the ibuprofen worked this time, and its not a recommended solution anyway, but it helps. Wearing the knee sleeves last night was better for some reason, it felt a bit odd, but today was blissful peace and quiet. I think I might have something else going on such as restless legs

• Trish9556
    Options

@Baloo

Try a hot and cold therapy - Ralgex/Deep Heat or similar alternated with a cold compress/spray may help. Also keep moving as much as you can - even if it's just walking around the house. I had big problems with my knees years ago where they'd just give way underneath me - bit like my hip is now. I couldn't get on with knee supports, found them terribly uncomfortable :)

Trish x

• Baloo
    edited 27. Dec 2022, 22:42
    Options

@Trish9556 yes, I try to lead a simple life when it comes to treatment. Something I can work into my daily routine even if it's not perfect and luckily it works. It's definitely knee nursing time before the wobble gets worse. I stuck my legs under the car heater today, and I have taken to sometimes wearing a leg blanket on the settee, and definitely an extra blanket in bed, as the relief from warmth is more real than I expected.

• Trish9556
    Options

@Baloo a pair of thick wooly tights underneath trousers instead of socks also helps with layering for warmth in winter xx

• Baloo
    Options

A modicum of understanding dawns, that my knees might not be lubricating when I lie down. It seems a bit odd but might be time to have the problem checked out.

• Lambourne
    Lambourne Member Posts: 21
    Options

On the warmth front I find M&S thermal leggings are really useful, wear on their own or under a dress or trackie bottoms.

• Baloo
    edited 7. Jan 2023, 09:57
    Options

ok that eventually worked. I was following the guidance as carefully as I can, wearing warm clothes, extra blankets, move with Leon, particularly getting up with less pushing off, more knee power. Then I went for a 7k walk. The last 1k was a world of pain but I woke up this morning having a good old stretch and not wanting to wrap myself up in cotton wool. The line between causing a flare up and causing a flare down must be rather fine, as too much exercise normally sets me off. I'm going to brew up a coffee with cream to celebrate.😊