Shoulder and arm pain

Any suggestions for this appreciated. Its a combo of OA and a trapped nerve due to an old rotator cuff injury. It's giving me 'gip' all the time but the pain is more noticeable at night. Using a pillow under my armpit to support my arm and taking paracetamol either at the start of the night (wears off part way though night) or when awake/can't sleep because of the pain.

Thanks folks.

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,398
    edited 27. Dec 2022, 08:30

Morning Speedy.

You'll probably remember Lucy having her shoulder replaced at 19 after her chemo. She really struggled and used a V pillow and some 'decent' pain meds for the year and a half it took to be dealt with.

I wonder whether you can ask for your GP to prescribe something slow release? Like my anti-inflam is a 24 hour one which can help ease the pain for longer?

In the day time a warm wheatbag too is a really good idea as you seem pretty sure your pain should ease off in time?

Take care of yoursel!

Toni 🎄

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315

Thanks Toni.

How is her shoulder now?

The OA pain hums in the background (for now) its the rotator cuff and nerve pain that is driving me mad. I do have some diclofenac left over from when I had sciatica that I can take if desperate. Not as good as the Arcoxia I used to take for my hip. Unfortunately, my lovely GP took early retirement and you can never get an appointment now, let alone see the same doctor. I will experiment with S's V pillow though and try a wheatie bag in bed.

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton

I do hope it eases off soon Speedy it's awful trying to get comfy in bed isn't it? I still have access to my Arcoxia luckily for me.

Lucy's shoulder is great now! She has full range of movement, but personally i worry worry worry about how long it will last she was so young.

GP services are just not the same are they these days? Really it is just awful. My own daughter paid to 'see' someone online while waitimg 24 hours to speak to 111!

Ah well. Best of 🤞 luck.

Toni xx

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

I find that supporting my head with shaped firm pillows does the trick (<£10 in IKEA), a folded pillow might help? The pillow I use have a concave and a convex side with two different radius edges, I use the large radius and concave side for sleeping on my side. The support helps my neck as well as my shoulders and stops the numbness in my arms. I use the wheat bags all the time, my OH made me a long thin one I can wrap around my shoulder joint before I go to bed.

Never tried a waterbed, I wonder if one would help?

it’s a grin, honest!

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707

My son once bought a water pillow but, he lives in USA where they might be more freely available. He just had temporary issues due to over-practising his bowling at the start of the cricket season and not making allowances for getting a little past his very speedy youth! It helped, briefly. (Mind you, he was also sleeping on an airbed on the floor at the time so that we could have his bed!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 518

Try a cushtie pillow. I bought one many years ago when i first injured my shoulder. It's a small beanbag which moulds around you.

Trish x

• speedalong
    edited 28. Dec 2022, 16:42

Hi Airwave, another forum veteran, whose name I recognise.

Stickywicket, much though I like the sound of it, I daren't risk a water pillow because of Poppy the cat!

Airwave & Trish, I will investigate these options.

Toni, glad her shoulder is great. With a bit of luck it'll last and last ...

Thanks folks.

• frogmorton

Oh yes Airwave is still around Speedy isn't it lovely? ☺️

• speedalong

It’s lovely to pop back and see familiar names - you, Airwave, Stickywicket, Barbara. Hearing you are still in touch with DD and Skezier …