3 months post THR - are you pain free?

Options
Preste121
Preste121 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello all

so I’m now just passed 3 months post THR op

my recovery has been brilliant ( well I think it has ! ) but I’m still a little stiff & sore sometimes . Last night I had a very sore night - sleep affecting - which I wasn’t expecting after 3 months

could I ask - how are others generally at this point ?

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Preste121 I had a THR in 2021 and at three months I was still finding the need to get up two or three times a night for a few minutes walk around the house to quieten down the muscles. I believe doing the recommended exercises and building up walking time and distance helped and although it was tedious and time consuming at least a gradual improvement was noticeable. Also, most importantly, the level of pain and my ability to walk and do things was infinitely better than before the operation. However, everyone is different and I know some achieved a faster recovery while others found it took longer.

• Preste121
    Options

Thankyou for this - I found it easy to learn about what to expect in the weeks after surgery but now I’m into months - I’m not sure what to expect . I am still seeing a physio - she is great & keeps me grounded - but it’s so helpful to hear from people who have been though it

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options

Hi Preste121,

I had both my hips ''done" many years ago - but 3 months isn't long when you think how long your hips were deteriorating for. Those muscles, tendons and so on are going to take time to recover from the manipulation in surgery, gain strength and condition and adjust to your new levels of activity. Just keep on with the exercises, build up distance and don't over do it.

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi again @Preste121 keep seeing the physio as long as you can and it's helping. I was passed around a number of different physiotherapists as it was a time of high staff turnover. Each had their own ideas which proved useful as I was able to blend their ideas into what I found worked best for me. I was told to remember that recovery from joint replacement is a marathon not a sprint. You need to do enough but not too much although it can be difficult to achieve the optimum balance as the effects of over doing things often don't kick in until sometime afterwards.

• Preste121
    Options

Thankyou both . You are both right . Time , patience and physio/ exercise is the answer

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.