Osteoarthritis just keeps spreading

Options

Honestly crying deep inside OA is like a disease in my body. I have OA in my whole SI joint had my 2nd denervation 2 weeks ago. In August I had surgery to remove a big hard lump from my wrist - diagnosis osteoarthritis. Today I’ve found a hard lump like the one on my wrist on my thumb so again osteoarthritis. It feels like it’s on a mission to infect every joint. I’ve only just come to terms with my wrist, the SI joint started 4 years ago. I just feel like I’m crumbling to bits before I’m 50! I know there’s no cure but seems it’s consuming me bit by bit in a short period of time. I’m despairing as I’ve only just secured employment after 20 months luckily as can’t get pip. OA is costing me a fortune in buying splints, walking aids etc not including heating. I can’t mentally cope with how fast it’s spreading inside me. Anyone else had this happen at a fast rate?

Comments

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 990
    Options

Yes me too. Had it since my 30s, diagnosed in 40s, and last 3 years has seen it accelerate. I’ve gone from owning 2 motorcycles or 3 if you count my wife’s and touring regularly to being in a wheelchair to go any further than 20 metres from my house. I’m 53yo.

I’ve spent almost £4k on two electric wheelchairs the first one went wrong and I simply couldn’t wait the 3 weeks repair time so bought another. My heating is set at 21*c night and day. I’m constantly popping tramadol pills just to function at about 20% of my pre arthritis capacity, if that. I can’t look after my 2yr old son when my wife is working so it means I don’t get to see him for 3 days a week. I rarely get through the day without having to lay down to reduce my pain. I rarely get through the night because I have to get up as my body hurts laying down for more than 5 or 6 hours.

i could go on, so yes I get where you’re coming from, I absolutely do.

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options

I think it doesn’t help that when you have OA in one joint, the other joints compensate and wear out quicker.

Mine started in my hips and spread to my knees, but also have it in some finger joints, shoulder and neck.,

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.