Newly diagnosed with RA

Options
Wraggybear
Wraggybear Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello there,

I’ve recently been diagnosed with RA (right shoulder and wrist) and have been given Methotrexate to take. Only on for 2 weeks. Over the past two days I’ve been having chronic sharp pains in my left foot and 3rd and 4th toes. It’s been getting progressively worse where I’m finding it difficult to walk. Is this something else or connected doesn’t anyone know? Can anyone advise or help please?

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Wraggybear

welcome to the online community, I am glad you have found us. We are not medical professionals so we can't really diagnose what the problem is with your toes, it certainly sounds like getting hold of your rheumatology nurse might be a good idea. Also as you will be having regular blood tests for your methotrexate you could ask your GP practice. Our website states

Rheumatoid arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition that can affect any joint in the feet, and occasionally, the ankles. It is caused by a fault in the immune system, which makes it attack healthy cells in your body, as if they were germs or viruses. When this happens in and around a joint it can make it swollen, stiff, hot, and painful. It can cause long-term damage to the affected joints in your feet or ankles.

It’s not uncommon for people with rheumatoid arthritis to get painful pea-sized lumps, called nodules, in their heels, toes and soles of their feet.

I am sure our members will share their experience with you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

I can't give any advicè, @Wraggybear , but , as someone who has had RA for many years, that sounds pretty normal to me. Two weeks on methotrexate is no time at all. Two to three months is the usual time they reckon for it starting to help. Meanwhile, the RA is spreading. It's what it does. With luck things will impŕove as the meth takes hold. You could ask tour GP for some pain relief in the meantime.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Hi Wraggybear. It’s normal.

I get it sometimes too. It’s almost like a firework going off, well that’s how I described it.

mine tends to be when I go to bed at night.

• Gadgetgirl
    Gadgetgirl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi Wraggybear.

MTX takes at least two to three months to start working. When I was diagnosed I was put on steroids alongside the MTX which helped to reduced the pain and swelling while waiting for the MTX to kick in. It is normal for you to encounter pain in other joints and these will be flares. Maybe you should ask your GP if the pain is bad for another drug, steriod to help.