Working while awaiting a total hip replacement

Options

I developed osteoarthritis last year and it's deteriorated rapidly. I'm currently on the "urgent" list for surgery but who knows when that might be. As a widow I have to work and fortunately my work is office based and my employer is very supportive but the office is based 25 miles from my home and there's no public transport so I drive to work. There's a car park opposite where I work but it's always full and has no blue badge spaces so I can frequently not park there. The nearest alternative car park is over a mile away which I can simply not walk to or from any more. I don't want to have to give up work just because I can't park and I can hardly expect my employer to sort this out. Any suggestions as to a way forward?

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @LK57

welcome to the community it's lovely to have you here. It could well be possible to get a taxi from the car park to work and be able to claim this through access to work. It would certainly be worth investigating

I am sure our members will also have some ideas. Please let us know how you get on

Best Wishes

Sharon

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options

Go LK,

definitely worth checking Access to work for funding.

However, why not approach work about your parking issues - they may well be able to help/ make suggestions/ arrange something and it’s in their best interests to do so - you are a valuable and experienced employee.

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • LK57
    LK57 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Had never heard of the access to work fund so will certainly check it out. Thank you. No taxis unfortunately as we're a very small rural market town but I'm now wondering if I can find someone to give me a lift from the car park. I used to be able to park in a local business property but they've changed hands recently and the new owners are having building work done so their parking spaces are no longer available.