Getting a cat

Options
JenHB
JenHB Member Posts: 133
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Happy New Year.

I'm starting to think about potentially getting a cat - anything I need to be aware of considering I have RA (and am on MTX and HCQ)? I grew up with a cat so know about things like cleaning the litter tray!

Comments

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

I'd go for it! I had a dog before my diagnosis and she's pretty elderly now. Having a pet does give you a reason to keep going. Even at my worst I carried on walking her, although not as far as usual, but without her I wouldn't have had the same incentive to exercise. I've also got a continuity plan for when she's no longer with us, in the form of a young toy poodle. Again, he's been great as a distraction from the downsides of RA. A cat would be good company for you and would give you something else to think about when you have an off day. Let's know what you decide to do.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Many years ago, when I was already well into arthritis, we 'inherited' some neighbours' cat the night before they emigrated. She was a great character. Siamese. I'd no problems at all with her. But I've found some cats have a habit of winding themselves in and out of your legs. If standing or walking is a bit wobbly anyway, this is not a good way to go. I don't know how you find out if a cat is a 'twister'. Maybe buy from a rescue centre and have a few trial days first.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,007
    Options

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing.

I go out as little as possible now, and am on my own 3 days a week. I think it would be excellent company providing the feline friend is interested in being friends, I don’t think they all are. We had a chihuahua that passed due to cancer and a heart attack in 2018 and there is a gap in the family that he left when he went.

Big commitment though.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

I have a cat and she is wonderful what I would do without her I don't know.

I am considering getting one of those 'raised' feeding bowls though which would be easier than bending down so low.

Best of luck and when you get your puss you must post a picture for us to see😊

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Get yourself a rescue kitty. Rescues will be able to match you with a suitable friend. You can always buy a little bell to go on the cats collar, that might help you locate when kitty is under your feet.

I still walk my dog, she’s been my reason to get up in the mornings. Good luck.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I agree, go to a good rescue centre and they’ll find a cat that fits to your needs: eg

Kittens are a handful. I always get adult/ young adult rescue cats, who are a bit more of a “known quantity”.

Ideally look for one that doesn’t constantly bring home live mice etc that need rescuing or dispatching - not all cats are voracious hunters, a few of mine couldn’t catch a cold!

Get a cat that’s spayed /neutered so you don’t end up with kittens or a cat constantly roaming and getting into trouble.

The Rescue should also be able to tell you if a particular cat is prone to winding around your legs - I’ve never had one that does, but I know it can be an issue with some cats.

The rescue could also find you a quieter cat that doesn’t need calling in in the middle of the night etc. Some of my cats have been total nutters and rather high maintenance, and others have been an absolute breeze!

Dont discount the shy cats that hide away. I’ve had a few, and with time and patience they will come out of their shell, and it’s so rewarding when they do. They become loyal little love bugs ❤️

Enjoy! It’s so exciting, if a bit nerve wracking, bringing a new puss home. Do keep us posted.

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

I am a big fan of pets as therapy. I have a dog that is nearly human and 3 cats of varying ages & temperaments. I agree with those who suggest that kittens can be a bit much, so suggest looking at adult cats. The only issues that I have with my feline crew and my arthritis (sever OA in one hip) is that they will insist on using my body as a warm perch--I can't put my legs together to form a lap, and I have one big boy that is pretty heavy. I have to say that the cuddles are nice, though! I also agree that there is a risk of tripping, especially with the "twisters" (love that!). I have one that makes a habit of running to get ahead of me, then stopping in front of me. Maybe he is trying to do me in! However, they are a lot of fun and great company, so I join others in saying go for it. Just a word about dogs, though: Mine is amazingly smart, incredibly sweet and a total joy to have in my life. Any chance of considering a canine companion? Just saying...

• Zibbydoo
    Zibbydoo Member Posts: 7
    Options

My cat is my little mate, he seems to sense when I'm poorly and will stick to me as a constant companion. Here he is making his presence know whilst I'm trying to work.

• JenHB
    Options

Contacted a small local charity and Tilly will be joining me on Friday. I met her at the weekend and she is lovely and likes fuss! I'll put a picture up when she's home. 😺

• stickywicket
    Options

Brilliant! And so good that you opted for a rescue car. I shall look forward to the pic and hope you'll be very happy together☺

Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

Adorable😻

• Lilymary
    Options

Yay, another rescue cat in a loving home! Looking forward to the pics.

• TLee
    Options

I'm so happy for you and Tilly! Rescue animals are so special--all of mine either came from a shelter or just showed up at my house. It may take a while for your new family member to settle in and really show her personality, so give it time.

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

I am leaning towards getting a cat. The added issue for me is that I live on a narrowboat on the canal. A cat flap can be installed. The main problem is not that they fall in, but go missing just as you want to go off for a days cruising. They usually reappear around midday with a knowing smirk on their faces!

CCM

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

Getting a kitty was the best thing ever! Our Nigel was a tiny kitten, and that was a challenge as he was crazy! However he is now 8 months and does go outside, but as he is quite nervous of strangers and strange noises, he shoots indoors for reassurance. He’s our dear baby and I wouldn’t be without him. I do find picking up his food and water bowl an effort, but I like the idea of a raised bowl! With the litter tray, I leave the bag near the tray so when I empty the tray into a bin bag, it’s close by. To empty it i sit down to do that as bending is painful. Buy the smallest litter bags you can as they will be easier to lift. Nigel has bought so much joy to our loves and we adore him. Good luck with Tilly!

• Lilymary
    Options

@SoniaR , have you thought about putting Nigel’s food up on a table so you don’t have to bend down so much? I’m sure he’d get the hang of it very quickly. (He’s adorable btw!)

• JenHB
    Options

Meet Tilly. She already loves sitting on my lap.

• TLee
    Options

Orange tabby--my favorite! I have two. Your Tilly has gorgeous stripes, especially the extra-wide dark rings around the tail. Also, by far the majority of orange tabbies are male, so she is as rare as she is beautiful. Enjoy the snuggles!

• stickywicket
    Options

She looks sweet. Enjoy each other.

Steven Wright
  • SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

What a face! Gorgeous baby 💖