Fatigue

Options

sometimes I have more trouble coping with fatigue than my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Is this normal with this condition.

Comments

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

yes.

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

😉

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @Blake77 ,

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us and we look forward in helping you in anyway.

I understand that you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and are finding the fatigue associated with it particularly troublesome.

Please feel free to have a look through other discussions as you may find someone in a similar situation to you.

I have attached a couple of links for you to have a look through in the meantime:

Rheumatoid arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Managing fatigue | Causes, self-help, support (versusarthritis.org)

Dannii - Mod

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

This is a dificult one. Some of the meds we take can cause fatiguè. I sometimes have a bad fatigue day the day after I take my methotrexate or the day after that. Not all the time, though.

In my experience, the disease itself doesn't cause fatigue IF the meds are working. How are your recent blood tests? If inflammatory levels are low then the DMARDS should be woŕking. If not then you need to ring your rheumatology helpline as the meds might need tweaking. But remèmber DMARDS can take up to three months to work. Also, both RA and methotrexare can deplete our iron levels. Again, your blood results should show if this is the case or not.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 135
    Options

Did you do a lot more over Christmas/New Year than a 'normal' week? Just that I suspect that I completely overdid it at New Year - was staying in a cottage on the coast so a walk in the morning and then in the afternoon and then a wander along the prom in the afternoon (which often turned into about a 3mile wander!). This meant yesterday back at work I felt wiped out (and a couple of people commented and checked I was OK) - I ended up leaving early.

Last year I had low level fatigue and my rheumatology bloods were normal, so went to the GP who did a wider range of blood tests which showed my vitamin D levels were borderline insufficient so told me to take a supplement.

• Blake77
    Blake77 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you JenHB.

I will get that checked, my rheumatologist said my bloods were normal, I just feel that during the day it just feels as though I have hit a brick wall.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Hi Blake77.

tis normal I think. I used to be able to do so much in a day. Now I have to pace myself. It’s going to take me a while to adjust mentally and emotionally I think. Wet weather makes my pain worse I’m convinced of that.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

Hi @Blake77

How long have you had RA? How long have you been on DMARDs for it? I am only asking as fatigue is in my opinion sign my meds aren't 100% working. Or that I am having a flare. I general you should not be too too exhausted I would talk to my rheumatology team next time I saw someone.

So difficult to cope with that aspect of RA. I think if you are working it can feel like you are 'living to work' as you can be wiped out by the time you get home can't you?

Someone told me to take naps (years ago on here) I set an ⏰ so I don't sleep all day. If you are able to with your own work schedule.

Take care

Toni x

• Kezawinkle
    Kezawinkle Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi @Blake77

I'm newly diagnoseand, a single mum and struggling with the fatigue also. It feels like my normal day to day choars are mountains i have to climb. Even getting up for the school run is such an effort. I cant wait to start treatment on monday (today is sat) to hopefully get my life back

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 799
    edited 8. Jan 2023, 19:49
    Options

Hi @Kezawinkle

Welcome to the online community,glad you are posting already.

You say you are a single mum struggling with fatique you feel like you are climbing mountains with each choar you do.

Its good you are going to start treatment on Monday as you are so looking forward to it and getting your life back again.

here is a link that may help you get started.

Hope all goes well on monday,do go onto our forums and chat to others who will understand what you are going through.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Kezawinkle
    Kezawinkle Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi @Blake77

I'm newly diagnoseand, a single mum and struggling with the fatigue also. It feels like my normal day to day choars are mountains i have to climb. Even getting up for the school run is such an effort. I cant wait to start treatment on monday (today is sat) to hopefully get my life back