New

Options
Beamer
Beamer Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello. I am new on here, I am diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in the left ankle, both legs, both hips and both eyes.

Comments

• Cath100
    Cath100 Moderator Posts: 40
    Options

Hi @Beamer

Welcome to the online community, glad you have joined us, we hope that you will find out community helpful and informative and most importantly a place to get encouragement and support when you need it.

Sorry to hear that your Osteoarthritis is so widespread, it could be helpful to have a read if you haven't already of our section on this condition which you can find below, you may have already looked at this but it contains some good information about the condition and ways to manage it.

There are also sections on managing pain in different places which you might also find helps here

In our understanding Osteoarthritis doesn't affect the eyes so this might be something to follow up with the GP and query, but I hope this information helps you as a start, do feel free to post more messages and have a good look around the online community.

Thanks

Cath100

(Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Beamer
    Beamer Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks Cath,

The diagnosis of Arthritis in my eyes was from an optician. Although my eyesight is fine I visited because I thought I had an infection. After some tests without me mentioning OA. He told me it was arthritis,

I had never heard of it affecting eyes maybe he was wrong.

• Cath100
    Cath100 Moderator Posts: 40
    Options

Hi @Beamer

There are some types of arthritis that can affect the eyes, I would suggest to follow this up with a GP appointment and let the GP know what the optician has says and ask for some further investigations such as blood tests, usually it is the inflammatory types of arthritis though such as rheumatoid arthritis for example.

You can find out more here about the different types

Thanks

Cath100

(Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

Hi @Beamer ,

To be honest, I don't think you have osteoarthritis. I've never heard of osteo affecting eyes either but inflammatory forms of arthritis, eg rheumatoid, certainly can as it is systemic ie the inflammation can affect the whole body. I think Mod @Cath100 is absolutely right. You need to get your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist who will be able to sort this out and prescribe Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Meds (DMARDS).

Maybe print off this article from the British Medical Journal to show him/her

Conclusion: In patients with RA numerous abnormalities within the vision of organ may be found. Ocular symptoms are relatively common complications of RA, and may result in irreversible changes in the organ of vision. Regular ophthalmological examinations are essential among the patients with RA.

https://ard.bmj.com/content/80/Suppl_1/1108.1

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • movingslowly
    movingslowly Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hello@Beamer 👋🏻