Difficulty walking

Options
Tillytots
Tillytots Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I am on the waiting list for a knee replacement for my left knee. However I because I have it in both knees I am now finding it more difficult to walk and am very upset about this as I am only 60 and have lots of things that I want to be doing but can't because I am restricted. I am also getting heel pain which I think is a result of not walking properly due to the knee pain. I am taking Tramadol for the pain but sometimes this does not even help. Has anyone got any hints or tips to make life a bit more easier dealing with the pain.

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @Tillytots

Welcome and thank you for joining the Versus Arthritis online community :)

I'm sorry to hear what you're experiencing; it sounds quite difficult.

I wonder if you've been able to work with a physiotherapist, occupational therapist or a practitioner at a pain clinic? This way they can support you with different ways in trying to manage your arthritis and symptoms. Pain clinics explore further options like complementary and alternative medicines and therapies.

We have some gentle movements and exercises on our website you may find helpful to build strength in your joints and muscles which may help with reducing pain. Seeing a podiatrist may also be helpful for you.

Do let us know how you get on and if you need any further support, please don't hesitate to call the helpline on 0800 5200 520

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

Exercise(s) is/are definitely the best and they make recovery from a TKR quicker. We had a chap came on here very similar to you. he bought a bike, got very excited about how well he was doing and finally cycled off! Maybe a bike isn't your thing but swimming is good too and gentle (when it's bad) exercises - little and often to start with but then building up. The stronger the muscles the better they support the joints.

The heel might well be because you're walking badly due to the knee but do check that your shoes are supportive but not rubbing or gripping. Walking aids can help too - sticks, crutches or - as I'm now very wobbly - a rollator.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

I too am on tramadol for pain caused by osteoarthritis in my spine, lumbar and neck.

The trick with the tram is to take it every 4 to 6 hours to keep it topped up rather than taking it when you feel like you need it. It says this on the leaflet.

If I let it run out in my system it takes 90 minutes to work after I’ve taken it. I cannot always stay topped up due to the side effects and I’m currently on a cold turkey couple of days due to headaches. So I’m on ibuprofen for what little effect that has.

I’m 53 and have suffered for over ten years with constant pain and have been on prescription drugs for a similar time. I know it’s terrible when pain stops you from enjoying activities. I was an adrenaline junkie and was very active as it helped with my mental health and all I have left now is my music, bur tbh some days I can hardly do that. So keep on as long as you can, and at least you have the option of surgery, I unfortunately have been told after mri scans that no surgery is possible and I will continue to get worse till I die.

Also with the Tram if you take one instead of 2, you can’t take another 1 until four hours have passed, you can’t top it up say after 2 hours as you only took 1. This will still be overdosing due to the way the body metabolises the drug. This is for the 50 mgtabs.