Mtx injections and hair thinning

Options
Jasbo
Jasbo Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, I have recently started mtx injections and I am really scared about hair loss and/or thinning. I am taking 5mg folic acid daily and biotin supplements each day too. I have had three 10mg injections in total of mtx, so far I think I am doing ok.

I guess what I want to know is, if this is going to happen to me when will I start noticing.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,637
    Options

Hello @Jasbo Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

I understand from your posts that you have recently started taking Methotrexate (MTX) injections and are fearful about hair loss/thinning. This is such an understandable worry shared by most people when they start taking this medication.

While you wait for some of our members to share their own experience with you I am going to attach a couple of links for you to read. This first one is a very old 'read only' thread:

this second one is the Versus Arthritis Information about Methotrexate:

I hope now that you have said hello and asked your first question you might like to take a look around the rest of the forum. Living with Arthritis tends to be one of our most popular categories.

My best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

Hi @Jasbo Of course you are understandably worried anyone would be. I was too, but all seems ok-ish although I did start out with a lot of hair.

My own daughter had chemo for leukaemia at 16 and she had methotrexate as one of her chemos at a much higher dose than us (guess what it's yellow in the drip) as well as intrathecally into her spine. She was already totally bald by then due to two far stronger chemo drugs. It certainly can cause hair loss at those doses, but for us there's no guarantee.

You are doing all the right things to help yourself I will have everything crossed for you.

Take care and good luck

Toni x