New here - Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
jamesi1706
jamesi1706 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2020.

It started with just my big toe which was inflamed for over a year previously misdiagnosed as gout. Eventually got my diagnosis and it has spread to my wrists, shoulders, neck and recently my knee. My flare ups are always proceeded by a sore throat.

Wondering how people are coping with it. I used to do running but know this would be nigh impossible now. Was thinking of trying the gym for cross-trainer/exercise bike to get some exercise. Also considering dietary changes.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @jamesi1706 Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

I see from your post that you have Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) and were diagnosed during the pandemic. There are quite a few people who use this forum who also have Psoriatic Arthritis so you will be in good company.

You say you are wanting to get back into exercising and are considering making dietary changes. While you wait to hear from our members I am going to attach a few (sorry more than I would normally) links which I think you should find useful/relevant:

I hope you didn't feel bombarded there!

Finally now that you've said hello do take a look around the rest of the forum and join in anywhere you want to. Living with Arthritis tends to be one of our most popular categories.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options

Morning @jamesi1706 I suppose it's almost 'good' that your flares follow on from a bad throat so you can get ready when you get one?

Some of the people who come on here do go to the gym and use exercise equipment there. The best thing to do is let them know at the gym and they can show you the safest equipment for you to use.

Diet wise I think versus arthritis only really recommends the Mediterranean diet.

Nice to meet you anyway

Take care

Toni

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @jamesi1706

I too was diagnosed with PsA in late 2020. I've been accepted onto the free Nuffield Health Joint Pain programme which started yesterday. I posted about this here previously

It might be worth your while trying to see if there's one of their centres in your area as not only do you complete a supervised 12 week physio course but you get free access to their gym as well for 6 months.

As far as coping with PsA I was put on the adalimumab biosimilar 9 months after diagnosis and that has helped considerably. It's a different life for sure but I'm slowly getting back to doing many of the things I couldn't do for the last 2 years - albeit with a good number of modifications to doing so.

• Zibbydoo
    Zibbydoo Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello @jamesi1706,

Welcome, I'm also new here and recently diagnosed so still getting my head around everything.

Diet wise: I've gone with the recommendation of a Mediterranean diet and have also completely cut out processed sugar. I think it is helping - if nothing else I'm loosing weight which should reduce strain on my joints.

Exercise: I can't even consider walking and running at the moment, but as a keen swimmer I've continued to go to the pool (even when I really don't want to). I'm terrified of losing further mobility so want to keep what I've got moving.

Have had steroids into my worst affected joints and starting on methotrexate shortly - let's see how it goes