Degenerative neck and spine disease and OA in knees

Options
JBN
JBN Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I new to this but feel absolutely desperate with my health and pain ..

i have has two nerve blocks in my neck which have not helped to well ….

I have been told I’m looking out a fusion in my neck as my discs are so damaged in my neck and spine which has with the arthritis has caused to crumble …

I walk with a stick and use a wheelchair on and off when I let my guard down …..

I was demanded through childhood trauma which has caused severe OA

I live in pain 24hrs and I am on fentanyl patches pregabalin and paracetamol….

to be honest I am at the end of my tether with pain anxiety and being more disabled

I’m not complaining buts it’s a struggle …..

I have the most amazing wife who helps me to stay independent….

thank you for reading x

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

Hello @JBN a warm welcome to the Online Community.

I read from your post that you are really having a very tough time with your Arthritis which is in your neck and also affects both knees. I hope I got that right.

You are facing the prospect of having your neck fused as nerve blocks have failed to have enough impact. This is not a procedure the medical profession take lightly although there have been some people who have had similar surgery here in the past.

I am going to attach a couple of links which might interest you while you wait for some of our members to come along and say hello.

and this one might just have something you haven't tried yet:

By the way I am so glad to hear you have an 'amazing' wife to support you.

Finally please do take a look around the rest of the forum and join in wherever you like. Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular after 'Say Hello'.

My very best wishes I hope you will continue to post.

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options

Hello @JBN

I am so sorry to hear how much you are struggling. You have every right to 'complain' it sounds as though you have been given a tough hand to play there.

I do remember at least two members who have had neck surgery one being @dorcas who i don't think posts anymore, but she did do a thread about it and I'll try and remember who the other person was if I can.

You do well to still count your blessings by appreciating your wonderful wife who helps you so much. I think she's wonderful too as are many of our other halves here. We are indeed lucky.

I imagine you ha.ve tried many different treatments judging by the meds you are taking.

Coming in here and having a chat listening to and helping other people can all help us too as individuals so i very much hope you will decide to hang around.

Take care

Toni x

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,049
    Options

Hi @JBN

I am unfortunately in a situation very similar to yours. I have severe arthritis in lumbar and neck and have been on patches but am on tramadol at the moment.

pain 25/8

Its a real boring repetitive thing waking up and bang! Pain!!!! Isn’t it??

The only relief I can get is from popping pills or patches. Gentle exercise helps a little as does a tenns machine but too much of either is an irritation. Trying to “remain active” as so many non sufferers advise results in a meltdown and crawling into bed for 24hrs.

I have no magic help I’m afraid other than to say you are not alone.

Try and take it easy and keep the painkillers topped up.

• JBN
    JBN Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you so much ..to have someone at there who understand is amazing I have felt so alone 😊

• Larna
    Larna Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hey

Oh I know this disgusting pain oh so well!!!

I'm on Gabapentine, codien ,morphine patch, and CBD oil 4800mg .

I was also on Tramadol , but to many opoids, so I weaned myself off of those!

If I don't have the oil , then basically I can't walk , I can highly recommend this for this type of pain., it has no THC in it so you won't get high, just pain relief.

I also use Volterol, this helps aswell

I've been booked for Nerve blocking injections , at St.Thomas in Feb 23, and I'm very sceptical to say the least. ( Any advice I'd be very grateful 🙏)

But I'd urge anyone ,who isn't already using CBD oil as part of there treatment to include it as the difference , is pain relief and mobility!!.

It takes away that raw sickening pain, it actually gives you some relief . 😊👍🏻

Good luck guys

Larna ❤️