Hello everyone 🙏

Options
DoraMM
DoraMM Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Happy New Year to you all!

I suffer from osteoarthritis. Things started 3 or 4 years ago. I now have swellings on most of my joints, my hands and fingers are deforming, I can hardly pick anything up, even remotely heavy. We were running a B&B, had to give that up and sell up as I cannot cope. I find it hard to accept it will only get worse, as I've just been diagnosed, and my mum has it very severely. I dread thinking of what could be ahead.

I have suffered for years (at least 12) from ankylosing spondylitis. 4 vertebrae have collapsed, the swelling and pain are getting worse too.

Mental health has gone downhill, too much to take in, too little support, to much pain to accept and live with.

I look forward to chat with understanding people. I hope 2023 brings you all what you wish for.

Take care,

Dora

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 982
    Options

Hello @DoraMM, Happy New Year to you to and welcome to the online community,

You’ve just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis after several years of pain; you’ve lived with ankylosing spondylitis for over 12 years and you’re finding it all very hard to deal with. It’s so understandable that you’re overwhelmed- a diagnosis of osteoarthritis is a lot to take in and if you’re in increasing pain it can seem very hard indeed. Everyone in this community lives with some form of arthritis and understands what you are going through - I’m sure that some will come along to give you friendly support and reassure you that the way ahead may be different from what you were expecting, but can still be rewarding and content.

You might like to have a look at the Versus Arthritis webpage specially created for people who are newly diagnosed. It looks at symptoms, treatments and, very importantly, at ways you can help yourself physically and look after yourself emotionally.

Chatting with others who are going through similar experiences to yourself can be a great help. Do have a look round the different forums and join in any conversations you feel comfortable with. If you’d like to chat over the phone, you could call our free helpline, open from 9am-6pm Monday to Friday. They offer a listening ear and tailored support for your condition. Here’s how to contact them:

Do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

Happy New Year to you too @DoraMM and I hope it’s a good one for you.

I’m sorry to see you’re in such a lot of pain, and that it all gets a bit much sometimes. I wonder now that you’ve been diagnosed you can start on some meds to help? Or is there a pain clinic that you can be referred to? Maybe a word with your GP or surgery to find out? They look at all different ways to help with pain, not just at medical treatments.

Anyway, it’s great to have you here - I don’t post much but I do read a lot of the posts and I often find something that helps me or cheers me!

Rina 😊

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

Hi @Dora , Some good ideas there from @Rina . I'd just add, how about seeing your rheumatologist? How is the AS? That, presumably, is where it all stems from. Your meds might need tweaking.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

Morning @DoraMM lovely to meet you and welcome you here.

I was going to say almost the same as @stickywicket what does the rheumatologist think?

I am so sad for you that you had to close your business down that is awful the loss of a dream.

Anyway we are a pretty friendly upbeat lot here so please keep posting ask anything if we can help we will.

((()))

Toni x