I feel I’ll all the Time

Options
ianbradley1971
ianbradley1971 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

Please can someone tell me if things will improve

I have been diagnosed with psoriatic Arthritis back in March 2022 and take methotrexate and just started salazopyrin 4 weeks ago but I can count on one hand the days that I feel better

i feel like I been I’ll for a year

i am really struggling with work and just general well being there always seems to be something wrong feeling sick , extreme fatigue etc… legs arms hands hurting

is this normal?

regards

Ian

Comments

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Hi Ian, sorry to hear you’re feeling so rough. I don’t know much about the type of arthritis you have, but, I do know about how the pain gets me down with fatigue and generally feeling unwell all of the time.

I have very very few good days where I feel up to leaving the house either due to pain levels, feeling generally unwell due to fatigue or side effects from the pain killers. So I sympathise with you. Pain that is constant really does take it out of you.

Others here will give you a better idea about your drugs and how long they would take to start working. If need be you have to have a nag at your docs and be a nuisance. Not nice but sometimes it’s the only way to get results as they are so overworked.

Hope you feel better soon.

• MammaBuckz
    MammaBuckz Moderator Posts: 38
    Options

Hi @ianbradley1971

Welcome to the Online Community. Here you'll find a friendly group of people with different types of arthritis, who are happy to help.

You mentioned you were diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in March 2022 and have been taking methotrexate and more recently sulfasalazine, and you're wanting to know if things will improve for you.

It's difficult to say how your condition will develop or respond to the drugs, but once you are on the right treatment path for you, you should notice a marked improvement in your symptoms and side-effects. The drugs you have been given are slow acting and can take up to 16 weeks to become fully effective. Side- effects should start to ease after a couple of weeks. It may be worth keeping a 'symptom diary' to show any improvements and record any side effects.

It's helpful to learn as much as you can about your condition and medication and I hope the information above will be useful.

Please feel free to let us know how you're getting on.

Best wishes, MammaBuckz - Moderator

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• ianbradley1971
    Options

Thank you for getting back to me it’s so nice to know there is support

just feeling so low at the moment

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

I was feeling exactly the same a few days ago, have a look at my posts, but I’m feeling much better mentally today even though I’ve had to lay down for most of the afternoon.

you will feel better, something will lift your mood. Take care.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

Unfortunately, it sounds quite normal but, fortunately, things should improve.

My guess is that your rheumatologist added the salopazyrin)?) (sulfasalazine) to the mix becausd the methotrexate alone isn't controlling your disease. Hence the joint pains, fatigue etc. The nausea might be the meds but that should settle down. If not, do ring up about it.

It can take a while to find the right meds, or combinarion of meds, for each person. I think painfree is unduly optimistic but usually we can find a tolerable level. However, the sulfasalazine won't be at its best yet for you.

Are you due to see or hear from your consultant again soon? When you do, why not ask about your inflammatory levels? Some docs feel that if patients don't ask then they don't want to know. Many don't. But hard answers aren't easy with an inflammatory arthritis. It can all take an infuriating amount,of time.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Hi Ian.

I take Sulphsalazine. My Rheumatologist has just increased my dose this week. I’ve been ok on them, but I think one of the side effects can be nausea. I think it will pass. I am on steroids for 3 weeks as well, because I’ve recently had a flair up with pain.

I was taking a different drug before called Hydroxychloraquine which didn’t suit me, so had to come off it and start the Sulphsalazine. I feel it is starting to work, but it has been nearly three months. I still have pain, but it isn’t nearly as bad as when first diagnosed last year with R A. I do hope you get it sorted. If the pain or sickness. Gets unbearable contact your Rheumatology dept, they are there to help.