Osteoarthritis

Options
Suehowe1967
Suehowe1967 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone I am new to the group I was diagnosed back in October last year with osteoarthritis in both knees never experienced pain like it before or how it can change your lifesyle

Comments

• MammaBuckz
    MammaBuckz Moderator Posts: 38
    Options

Hi @Suehowe1967

Welcome to the Online Community. Here you'll find a friendly bunch of people with different types of arthritis, who are happy to help.

You mention you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis (OA)in both knees last October and the pain has had an impact on your lifestyle.

OA affects the cartilage at the ends of the bones causing it to wear unevenly which can also affect the muscles and surrounding tissues. There are many things that can be done to manage the pain and stiffness of OA, often using several techniques at once can help, but it is about finding the right treatment path for you. Symptoms can vary so having the right approach can make a big difference in how your condition is managed. Treatments can include painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory creams and gels, heat/ice therapy, exercise, complementary and alternative treatments and therapies.

I hope some of the information above will be useful to you.

Best wishes,

MammaBuckz - Moderator

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 197
    Options

Hi @Suehowe1967

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and yes it can really change your way of life. It is hard to try and forget all the things that you used to do ( I used to love walking and gardening ) and instead now have to rethink new ways of coping with this ( I now love doing jigsaws and sudoku which help to keep my mind occupied ). Hopefully your Doctor gave you some pain relief and that it helps. My Doctor also referred me to physio for a session of exercises which I now do at home on most days, but if I have a bad day I do not do them. There are some exercises on here that may help, take a look around the site. I try and be kind to myself by pacing myself in what I can do each day and if some jobs don't get done it is not the end of the world! Please realise that you are not alone with this and there are some lovely people on here who can give other advice/support. Take care.🙂

• Larna
    Larna Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hey,

I'm new to this site, but not to OA,

Unfortunately , I was not treated correctly and I now have severe OA in both knees, I have other health conditions which rule out surgery for me , I've been told the only thing I can try is nerve blocking injections , as I also have damage to my back .

The only thing that I find helps is Hydrotherapy. I can't believe how I can move in the water , it's amazing, sure I suffer afterwards , but I'm in agony anyway , at least I get something out of this.

Don't let things get to the point where your options are limited, push your Doctors demand, Treatments .

I also use Volterol the higher strength topical cream , this can take the edge off for a little while.

Good luck 👍🏻

Larna

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @Larna and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have pain from your knees and back - have you tried Capsaicin cream prescribed via GP? I've found this provides some temporary relief from my hand pain

and you might find the following of interest

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm