Knee replacement

Options

I am having total right knee replacement in February. I am in a lot of discomfort. Painkillers help a bit, but walking about is painful. I have been given a knee brace which helps a bit.

I hope I will have some quality of life after this is done as I feel so restricted at the moment. I have bought all the recommended stuff, long shoehorn, raised loo seat, etc. I am doing stretching and strengthening exercises every day.

Is there anything else I can do!

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear@SueA

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are in a lot of discomfort but am glad to hear that the knee brace helps a bit. I see from your posting that the painkillers help a bit. You could speak to your GP about alternative painkillers that may be more helpful in managing your discomfort while you are waiting for your surgery.

It's a good idea to make sure your general health is as good as it can be before your operation, for example if you have other health problems. It’s also advisable to have a dental check-up and get any problems dealt with well before your knee operation. There’s a possible risk of infection if bacteria from dental problems get into the bloodstream.

Your orthopaedic surgeon may suggest other exercises to strengthen the muscles at the front of your thigh (quadriceps), which often become weak with arthritis. The stronger these muscles are before surgery, the quicker your recovery is likely to be. Exercises that involve raising your foot against gravity are best.

You'll probably be invited to a pre-admission clinic a few weeks before surgery. You’ll be examined to make sure you’re generally well enough for the anaesthetic and the operation. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions about your operation and discuss anything you’re concerned about.

I see that you have already started planning by buying aids for your return home and recovery arrangements. You may also meet a physiotherapist or occupational therapist who’ll talk about the exercises you’ll need to do after your surgery and your arrangements for going home.

I have put a link below for our information on knee replacement surgery and I hope this will be helpful to you.

Knee Replacement Surgery

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• SueA
    SueA Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi.

I had TKR on 9 February. I am now 3 weeks on. My knee is still very stiff, especially when I get up in the morning. I use my dressing gown belt to lift the leg into bed.

Trying to do the exercises, ice pack, walking, but feeling a bit despondent as nothing seems to be improving. I don’t know whether I thought I would be feeling better by now. All I see is a long road ahead, with nothing improving as fast as I would hope.

Would appreciate your advice please.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @SueA

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling despondent following your TKR as nothing seems to be improving. It is positive that you are trying to do the exercises. Some people experience continuing or increasing stiffness after surgery. Usually this resolves with exercise, and as the swelling improves.  Your new knee should continue to improve for as much as two years after your operation as the scar tissue heals and you exercise your muscles. I have put a link below for our information on total knee replacements that includes a section on ‘Looking after your Knee replacement’ and any potential problems. You should speak to the department that performed your surgery or your GP or physiotherapist about your concerns so that they can advise you.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Knee Replacement Surgery

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor