Knee support

Options

Hello all - I have oa in left knee. I also have high blood pressure and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I have been advised to lose some weight and I would like to start walking again. However I feel I need some kind of knee support. Where do I start? I don't want anything too restrictive just something to give me confidence

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@Lavender63

Thank you for your posting on the forum about knee supports for the osteoarthritis in your knee.

It is positive to hear that you would like to start walking again and some people find that knee braces do help. You can buy knee braces from sports shops and chemists, but you should speak to your doctor or a physiotherapist first, as they might be able to provide braces or recommend the best one for you. Wearing the right shoes can reduce the shock through your knees as you walk so wear shoes with thick soles and enough room for your toes. If you need extra support for your feet or knees when you walk, speak to your physiotherapist, occupational therapist or your doctor about getting insoles made for your shoes.

I have put a link below to more information on our website about managing osteoarthritis of the knee. I hope it is helpful to you.

Osteoarthritis of the Knee

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• Lavender63
    Options

Thanks Dawn- I was never referred to a physio, but thank you for the reply.