Hip Replacement on Its Way!!

Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm terrified, being new to things like operating theatres, but my hip replacement is planned for 15.3.23.

I had my pre op assessment in December, and because I'm otherwise healthy, so not anticipated to need any emergency treatment as met in a large NHS facility, they got me in at a private hospital, with my NHS consultant still doing the op.

Bit of a pain getting around the hospital's need for a "next of kin". I've no family and currently not in a stable relationship, so trying to find out a way whereby my worst case scenarios wishes can be enforced.

I'd planned to get a Power of Attorney (POA) in place, but its only now that it becomes very relevant. Going to have to do some form of "makeshift " arrangements because there is no way a POA can be processed in time for the op. Just a hint for anyone else in a similar situation. Any ideas would be welcome.

Sheelee

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Not long now😀

Re next of kin. Could you just ask a friend? A good friend. Other than that just ask the hospital for advice. You can't be the first.

Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Speak to a local solicitor on Monday. If done quickly you should have time to get it done before your surgery. It's 4 weeks for any relatives t make any objections then just needs to be registered at a court. Alternatively they may have suggestion for an alternative option.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi stickywicket and Trish,

I rang the relevant office who process POA. It's taking 6 weeks just to acknowledge your application. A friend of mine had one done for her mother recently. The public office had her mother's application for 6 months before they even requested the payment. In the meantime Andrea's mother died.

I did think of asking a friend. My worry is, if something was to go horribly wrong, it's a massive responsibility, and could become a big commitment if, for instance, I was left in need of 24 hour care, and my money needed managing.

Someone I know used to work for the public office. I'm going to get more ideas of possible scenarios, and put something in writing for the hospital. I've intended doing a POA for a while. This has just crept up on me and I didn't clock the significance. I also thought of contacting Age UK, because they used to offer an advocacy service. They may also know where I may be able to go for some more help with this.

I think in terms of health at the extreme levels, I'm going to have to pass it onto the medical team, because there just isn't time to do much else.

Thanks for all the support,

Sheelee

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Maybe this is what you're thinking of/need? It's a living will on the Age UK site

hope it helps

Trish X

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Thanks Teresa. With your help I've now managed to do the letter to tide me over the operation period.

I've decided I am going to pay someone for the Power of Attorney and do a Living Will at the same time. With the Age UK item, I'm going to draft something beforehand to cut down on the costs. It is awkward as wills, living wills and Power of Attorney all depend on people having family or friends to be the trusted person.