Sulforaphane in broccoli

Options
BerylM
BerylM Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi

This is my first posting. I have arthritis in my knees, thighs, lower back, right hand and wrist, and over the years have taken many supplements, but cannot say with any conviction that any have truly worked. I'm not on any medication apart from store bought Anadin Extra. My walking is fast deteriorating and I now use a walking stick when out and about. And my balance isn't good.

I have read that the University of East Anglia has done research into Sulforaphane in broccoli to reduce inflammation caused by arthritis, and wondered what the results are. And if the results have been positive what is the best way to get sulforaphane into the system. By capsule? Including fresh broccoli in a smoothie, or juicing it, or perhaps making a soup out of it?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @BerylM and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have arthritis in your knees, thighs, lower back, right hand and wrist and wondering about the benefits of broccoli. As you say there is a research study into this which has received grant funding from Versus Arthritis and hopefully this will produce some good results. In the meantime have a look through the following

You also say you are not on any prescribed medication so I would suggest consulting your GP to see if they can give you something to help. Have a read through the following first

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options

Interesting, @BerylM . So we really should eat our greens 😀

I've tried finding the results of this study and failed. Lots of sites saying they're recruiting for it but old ones. One US site said the study was due to run until December 2021. Still no results.

I found one articld on the BBC. Why not write to the laxy heading the study and ask? Meanwhile, keep eatng brocoli! But I would heck with your GP or pharmacist if it'OK to take Anadin . Many people shouldn't.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright