Occupational health and reasonable adjustments

Hello, I am sad 50 and work for Government in a desk based job and have osteoarthritis in my fingers, hands, wrist, spine, neck and feet and also have Repetitive Stain Injury and tendinopathy caused by thd keyboard. My GP occupational health to come yk ghd house znd I received equipment to help with cooking etc. I asked for an in person DSE assessment in July 2023, I've worked from home all during the pandemic. The assessor recommended equipment which thst sounded really helpful and also said I'd benefit from home working. My employer has said I can't have the equipment as 'he was just selling his company's products' and they are also insisting I attend the office one day a week. Using the standard equipment causes me real pain. They are sending out another assessor from a new supplier because health and safety said the current supplier is ' useless and too soft'.

I'm really anxious about meeting with this next assessor and am unsure of my position on asking for proper equipment to support Mr znd also working from home. I wondered if anyone could offer advice please? Thanks


  • noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 293

    Hello @Pool10 and welcome to the Community.

    I understand that you have OA and looking for advice on DSE assessment and what you are entitled to.

    Can I suggest that you have a look through the following

    I would also suggest calling our Helpline team (0800 5200 520 Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm) who should be able to give you better advice

    It would be better to know what support you are entitled to before talking to your employer. Hope this helps

    Best wishes

    Peter (moderator)

  • Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 81

    Hi Pool10.

    Do you have anyone you know who is fairly offay with these issues and your difficulties who could be with you for the assessment? Firstly (and particularly if you've been made to feel "very unnecessary ") all of us find it hard to tell people how bad it really is in case we're accused of laying it on too thick. It helps to have someone other than yourself, who are not bogged down with all of that who may be able to say things more succinctly. Secondly, having another brain there helps to fill in the bits you may forget. And it's a support.

    Just a thought. Good luck,