Newly diagnosed RA and Ankeylosing spondylitis

Options
Marshy
Marshy Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello

I have just turned 40, have a 18 month year old toddler and last week diagnosed with ankeylosing spondylitis. It is still sinking in feel a little overwhelmed with the ramifications of an auto immune disease..... what even are the ramifications? I guess the chronic nature of it is a bit frightening. I will be starting hydroxychoroquine so if anyone had advice, knowledge or just wants to respond would be great to hear from you as it can feel a lot to take in!

Thanks in advance for reading

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 982
    Options

Hello @Marshy and welcome to the online community,

Hearing a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as RA or ankylosing spondylitis can be really overwhelming, so it’s understandable that you are worried about the ramifications and feel a bit frightened. I’m sure there are many members of the forum who have experienced the same feelings of concern and can understand what you’re going through - many of us were diagnosed when young and with young children, just as you are. You’ve made a good decision to join the VA community. As well as friendly support and advice, all our members have experienced living with arthritis and are happy to share their stories.

It might help to find out more about your condition- the VA website has some useful pages on ankylosing spondylitis which include information about medication, treatment and suggestions for self help:

You are taking hydroxychloroquine so you might be interested to read more about the drug here:

Do have a look round the website and join in wherever you feel comfortable, or post any questions or concerns you may have.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm