SCARED

Options

Hip replacement I.n the near future. I bought a chair, a high rise to my toilet but I need other stuff and practically broke and I am alone and scared as hell! Any comments?

Thanks,

HeyYou123

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hello @JustMe123 and welcome to the online community,

I understand you’re having a hip replacement in the near future and you’re feeling alone and scared. You’ve bought some equipment to help your recovery but you are broke and may need other equipment. It might reassure you to know that many of our members have had successful hip replacement operations and have lots of advice and support that they are happy to share - so you are not alone. Have a look at this thread where members discuss their experiences, and if you want to join in the conversation, I’m sure you will be welcome:

Depending on which health authority you are under, you might be able to get most of the equipment you need from the hospital before your discharge. An occupational therapist will have a chat with you and sometimes comes to your house to assess whether adaptations can be made to your home or equipment can be loaned to help you. This will be something you could mention at your pre op appointment.

The Versus Arthritis website has some useful information on having a hip replacement, including details about the types of surgery, medication to help with pain and how to help your recovery:

Sometimes it helps to chat to someone, and our helpline team is available from 9am - 6pm every weekday. It’s freephone, so do call them for a friendly ear and some tailored support. Here’s their number:

Do keep in touch and let us know how you’re getting on.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Wendy52
    Wendy52 Member Posts: 15
    Options

When my husband had a hip replacement a couple of years ago he had a call from the hospital to ask about accessibility to shower, toilet height, chair height etc. As a result of this conversation he received appropriate aids to make his recovery as positive as possible and totally free..when he was finished with them they were collected free.

Hopefully such a service is provided in your area and just to say his hip replacement was a complete success and he couldn’t believe how much pain he had had until after the op and the level was reduced. He did make sure that he attended the physio and did the recommended exercises religiously. Hope all goes well for you!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 18. Jan 2023, 18:26
    Options

I had my hip done in 2021 and I found that our local health authority, through the Occupational Therapy dept, provided all the equipment I needed. It’s more than likely your health authority will do the same. They usually wait until you have a date for surgery, and then a week or two beforehand will get in touch to make sure all necessary equipment is provided, including raised toilet seat, perching stool (useful for strip washes before you can shower). They usually check your chair and bed are high enough for you to get in and out (including raising the feet of the bed up on blocks if necessary). The hospital will also give you more equipment when you’re discharged, including crutches, sock slider, grabber etc. The only thing I had to buy was a long handled shoe horn and a long handled brush or sponge to aid bathing. Soft pillows to sit / sleep on are also invaluable, your rump will be a bit tender for a while.

while I don’t live on my own, I was surprised at how self sufficient I could be even from Day 1 with a bit of forward planning. Get some ready meals in your freezer, a shoulder bag for moving stuff around the house, and slip on shoes as you won’t be able to reach your feet for a while. The trolley will help you move stuff around between the kitchen, living room and dining table. I found I could wash my hair over the bath or basin from day 2 (I had a shower in the hospital before I left) but could climb into the bath for a standing shower after my dressings were removed at week 2. The perching stool makes for something stable to hold onto while climbing in and out and to put your towel on. While I was grateful to have my husband there for moral support, particularly when I started going for short walks outside (day 3 after getting home), and was grateful to him for doing the shopping and cooking, if push came to shove (and with the aid of ASDA deliveries) I could have managed on my own. You have to let your housekeeping standards slip for a while, but that’s only short term and you have the best excuse!

Don't worry, the logistics aren’t as terrifying as you might think, and as your body starts to heal you’ll cope better and better with each day. I won’t lie, it can be tough going at times, but it really does get easier quite quickly, and you’ll soon get the hang of doing things a bit differently, and you have the knowledge that it’s only temporary, rather than the endless debilitating pain of your hip pre surgery.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @JustMe123 My "Hip replacement tips" topic might help: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55224/hip-replacement-tips#latest I found the same as @Lilymary that "while I don’t live on my own, I was surprised at how self sufficient I could be even from Day 1 with a bit of forward planning"

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Christ almighty, we’re all scared out of our wits but it doesn’t help us! These ops take place hundreds of thousands of times every year, take a deep breath and get on with life, after recovery you’ll wonder why you felt so low. Have faith in the medical profession.

It’s all those attractive nurses approaching us with a needle ten times the size of what they ought to be that does the harm, ‘ just a scratch sir’. Hhmmm. ;-))

Now if you said you were afraid of flying, well, I could understand that! I’m terrified.

it’s a grin, honest!

• Kaz1971
    Kaz1971 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi, I think you can still get items from the Red Cross for short term loan to help you. If there's anything you think you may not already have - it may be worth asking them. Also, I can imagine you're frightened (I certainly would be) but a good idea is to talk through your fears with your consultant or your surgeon and they will usually be very helpful.

• Faithhope22
    Faithhope22 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Sorry but all our emotions and circumstances are different you have to be mindful of that Faithhope22

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

I had hope there was a touch of humour peeping through.

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 279
    Options

Hi @JustMe123

Old news from me but i would hope the same was still available for any operation that needs adjustments around the home.

My hip replacement back in 1996 was the best op i ever had and its still going strong even though they give a rough life of 15 years. (this may have changed now for much longer life). yes it was a struggle at the time but before the op i had a visit from the Occupational Therapy dept who measured me and everything i used around the house.

What i had done was 4 extender legs on arm chair in lounge. hand rail up left hand side of stairs with grab handle at top. raised toilet seat with grab rail. 3 grab rails around bath for showering. sock puller to help pull on socks. long hand grip for picking things up off floor. and as mentioned above i had to apply to the red cross for a wheelchair that after 10 years i was told i could keep it.

I would suggest to either check with your GP to see if they could arrange this or your consultants sec at the hospital who may be able to advise.

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hiya Justme123,

I had purchased a few things before getting my hip replacement, only to discover that social services would contact me a week before my admission to ask what I needed. Also I was given equipment while I was in hospital, in short, I spent money that I could have saved. Oh well I can feel good about saving the NHS a few quid😉