Cervical spondylosis - can a herniated disc recur?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 20. Jan 2023, 16:15 in Living with arthritis

I'm 76 and have osteoarthritis in various joints, including disc degeneration in my spine. A few months ago I woke up one morning with terrible pain and stiffness around my neck and left shoulder. I also had pins and needles down my arm and into my hand. I saw a physiotherapist attached to my health centre who diagnosed cervical spondylosis and said I had a herniated disc, which had been caused by degeneration of the discs in my neck. It took about a month for the pain to improve. However, that side of my neck still aches at times and I get a delightful crunching sound when I move my neck.

I am concerned that this will be something that will recur. If anybody else has this, is this likely to happen as I age further? Is there anything I can do to improve things?

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hi

I am 66 and about to have a cervical foraminotomy on my neck after over 10 years of oohing and aahing by medical professionals. I have had the feeling that my neck is made up of gravel every time every time I turn it and have regular clunking that can be very loud and painful so I know where you're coming from.

Trish xx

• Megrose489
    Options

Thank you Trish. I hope the operation goes well for you and you feel a lot better. xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hey @Megrose489

I have had the same issue.

However with the aid of a shaped memory foam pillow and pain meds when needed and careful attention to my neck I have usually managed to head off any major issues at the pass.

If it feels worse rest!

Take your anti inflammatory meds and rest.

Remember yoir head weighs a lot so stay in touch with how your neck is feeling.

Best of luck

Toni x

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 272
    Options

Hello @Megrose489

I hope you have found the comments useful. You might also like to look at this NHS information https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-spondylosis/ which gives information on the causes and treatments of cervical spondylosis. Please keep in touch with us if you find it helps.

Best wishes

Caryl (Moderator)

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Megrose489
    Options

Thank you both Toni and Caryl for your responses and the link, Caryl. It certainly helps to know that there are others who totally understand how you feel.

Meg