Rock climbing with rheumatoid arthritis

HI!

Do you guys know if I can rock climb?

I tried today for the first time and my hands hurt and are swallen but my friends had the same issue. I would like to know if it is safe for me to continue and if you have any reccomandations. Thanks!!

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hi @AriannaZmp

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us!

So, you have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have tried rock climbing for the first time today. Your hands are now swollen and hurt but your friend is also the same. You're wondering if it is safe for you to continue to take part in this activity and if anyone has any recommendations.

For first off, well done for trying a new activity! It sounds like it would have been fun, although the pain afterwards would not have been. My automatic thought to your question is that you would be best to seek medical advice from either your GP or Rheumatologist. I expect they will say it is fine to continue as long as you are careful and take the relevant precautions, such as strapping up your hands and wrists, if this helps. To be on the safe side, I really think this would be the safest option for you, since we are not medically qualified.

I'm sure once other members have had a chance to see your post, you will have lots of recommendations. Until then, I have attached a couple of links to information that may be of interest to you.

Please do let us know how you are getting in do continue to keep getting involved in the community.

We are a friendly bunch and are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I would suggest you find a climbing wall and try there before trying an actual rock face. It’s not a good place to find out the hard way that your hands can’t take it. The effort you’ll be putting your hands through may well result in inflammation, so start small, and short duration so that you can find your limit, and allow your hands to recover before your next attempt.