Does living in a warmer climate help significantly?/Also - ceramic floor issues??

LuckyGrandmaof5
LuckyGrandmaof5 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello!

I am currently visiting some of my family who recently moved to Central America and they want me to join them here permanently. (I have lived in a northern climate for all my life and winters are becoming more of an issue.) I was diagnosed with OA at age 37 - am now 74. Managed fairly well without meds until my late 60's. Had a lumbar laminectomy for my spinal stenosis at age 70 with a relatively good recovery. My hands are very deformed now and the aching has increased significantly in the last year.

I would be interested in hearing from others who have moved to a warmer climate and whether it is markedly beneficial for arthritic symptoms. (I have noticed a very slight improvement of my hand pain in the almost month that I have been here). Obviously I am very grateful that my family has asked me to join them, but there are definitely serious considerations about such a big move at my age and stage of life.

Also, I have learned over the years that walking on ceramic floors can be very hard on backs/legs and where I am staying at the moment, all the floors are ceramic - I do wear a heavily cushioned rubber-soled slipper inside, but I have a nagging aching in my back and legs the last fews days and wonder if this also could be an issue....?

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @LuckyGrandmaof5 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you may be moving permanently to warmer climes. As I type this it has been a cold damp UK winter's day so definitely feeling envious! Hope you enjoy it and and can I suggest having a look around our website, it contains a lot of useful information. You might find the link below of interest

and

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With very best wishes

Peter (Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 111

I have RA and OA and am just a bit younger than you. Until covid we spent 3 months of the winter in Spain and we're here again this year. I would say that the warm and dry weather does definitely help, as does the mental boost I get from not having to face the dark, wet days at home. I think it would certainly be worth considering a move, particularly if you would have family support. See what other people think, but do let us know what you decide.

• Hello Fif - Thank you so much for your encouraging response! Sending you best wishes for relief of your symptoms as you holiday in lovely Spain!

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Wow! Those are BIG questions but aren't we lucky (Mr SW and I were in a fairly similar position about 7 years go) to have families who still want us around - a lot - in our old age? ( I am 76 now and Mr SW 79.) We opted to live near our son in Scotland rather than the one in California.

Personally, I've never found cold and damp made either my widespread RA or OA any worse, though wind does, but I just wilt in heat and, when my RA was very bad, heat always set it off. Possibly this was all more to do with barometric pressure.

But one main concern was medical expenses. What is the situation like where your family live? As we get older more things go wrong. That has certainly been true for us. Mr SW alonè, always the very fit and sporty type, has had both hips replaced.

Also, you write of heat but seem to have only experienced a few weeks there. What's the climate like? Central America is a vast area with different climates. What is it like in the months when you haven't been there? It could be very different from what you have experienced.

As for ceramic tiles, I'd guess that's quite a personal thing. But couldn't you just lay carpet over them? Or might that make the house too hot?

Perhaps I'm being over cautious but, in your situation, I'd want to do far more research, and visit at different times, before taking such an enormous step. We did and are very happy that we made the right decision. We still visited our family in California every year for a month until covid and my immunosuppression intervened. Now they come to us.

I do wish you good luck, health and happiness with whatever you choose.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hello SW - thank you for your thoughtful response! :) I am here in Panama where there are basically only two seasons - wet and dry - and the temps are fairly consistent - hot! It took me about two weeks to acclimatize (somewhat) - being in the pool or ocean daily is lovely, but I do worry about the potential cost of running AC! I certainly won't make this decision quickly - I have another month here to see if my arthritic symptoms ease more.

Like you, one of my main concerns is medical expenses. The back surgery that I had in Toronto was not a cure - it just buys me time - eventually the spinal compression will rear its ugly head. It certainly builds the case for staying put, where I would have coverage provided for future surgery.

Laying carpet over the tile would be an option of course - I will be researching potential accommodation among many other things of course, during my remaining time here.

I have considered just visiting perhaps twice a year and remaining in Canada. I do indeed feel extremely lucky and blessed that my daughter and her family want me to move here and equally blessed that I also have a son and his family that want me to stay in Canada. Tough decisions ahead!

Thank you again - sending you best wishes for good health as you deal with your and your hubby's health concerns.

• Re: Panama weather: I should clarify that I am currently staying quite close to Coronado - in the tropical lowlands. The climate in the highlands is a little cooler.