Knee arthritis

Any tips on sleeping when both your knees are aching and I’m up every hour just moving around cause they are stiff.

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

When my knees went like that I settled for a warm wooly blanket to make sure I was snug and warm. A throw over blanket in the day when I was sitting up, and a rug pile duvet cover at night turned upside down, it really cut out the draughts. I sleep on my back with a knee pillow and generally nod straight off like that anyway, but when the knee ache came it really bugged me if I lay down in the day for a rest and I had to get back up.

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

I only have mild arthritis in my knees, but I do have tendinitis. It was caused by my hip arthritis twisting my leg and tearing all sorts of soft tissue in my knee.

Firstly, sitting up or lying down, my knee hates lying flat. It stiffens up like mad, so in bed I tuck a flattish pillow under my knees so they are slightly in the crooked knee position. When I'm sat up with my legs up, I used to use a rolled up towel, but recently invested in a bolster off the Internet. The one I went for is in a 1/2 moon shape. It's a bit of a struggle to get your legs over it, and though I still stiffen up when I want to get up, I can sit comfortably and the stiffening I've found to be less.

Hope that gives a few ideas,

Sheelee xx

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113

Hi @Julie73 welcome to our online community.

I understand that you are looking for some tips on sleeping with achy knees. I have attached a link from our website some helpful tips for you to have a look at:

and another link for you:

I see that you have already connected with others members. Stay in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

Best wishes.

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90

Hi @Julie73 I have arthritis in both knees. I have found some things to help with pain at bedtime. Hot water bottles, and pillows. Placing a pillow under your knees if laying on your back, or between your knees if laying on your side. I use a full length body pillow and normally lay on my side to sleep. I also use a v pillow which helps with my back. I hope this helps