To operate or not

Options
SimonL
SimonL Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I have osteoarthritis in my left hip. It was diagnosed in 2018 and since then I’ve simply ignored it as best I can and got on with things with the occasional painkiller. Of course it’s worsening and affects my sleep…but I can still garden/walk (7 miles is about the max) and do most things I want to..although suffer for it afterwards. Last consultant appointment confirmed it was bad enough to justify hip replacement but my worry is that I’m only 60 and don’t know how long it would last. If I could plot a graph showing rate of hip deterioration vs surgery waiting times, that would help with the decision too! Has anyone else been in this position?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

HI @SimonL welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

I see from your post that you have osteoarthritis in your left hip which is now severe enough for replacement surgery. In spite of this you are still very active and are worried about how quickly a replacement hip might deteriorate.

The decision about when to go for surgery is always, quite rightly an individual one, but hopefully some of or members will come along soon t share their own experience with you.

While you're waiting I am attaching a couple of links which I think might interest you:

there is a section entitled 'how long will the new hip joint last' in the article above.

and

Just in case there's something which you might want to try.

Do keep posting and et us know what you decide to do and feel free to join in wherever you like on the forum. Living with Arthritis tends to be a very popular category.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 31. Jan 2023, 17:03
    Options

Hi Simon. It can be a tough call. As you say, you could do with a graph plotting deterioration against waiting times, but the rate of deterioration can change for any number of reasons. My OA was completely undetected (ie asymptomatic) until a few years of reduced inactivity due to other medical conditions meant loss of muscle strength, then I fell and landed on my backside, and the pain suddenly went off the chart and I was put straight on the list for a new hip without having previously realised I even had OA. (Then lockdown came....) I do wonder how much longer I could have carried on with a hip that was, in theory, pretty wrecked, but which I had been coping with perfectly well until things changed. But it was an absolute no brainer for me, the pain was so horrific and disabling that I would have done anything to get rid of it. I was 61 and previously a fit walker when I had mine done. Hip replacement is a godsend, but it's a challenging journey in itself. You've got to be pretty desperate to submit yourself to it.

Joint replacement is effectively "extreme pain management". They try to postpone this for as long as you can cope with it by combinations of physio to keep your muscles that support the hip in good shape (which your 7m walks will be helping no end), then pain relief meds, then steroid injections in to the hip. When none of that is working anymore, and it's severely impacting on daily life, it's time for surgery. Try to keep yup the exercise to the bitter end though (as much as pain levels allow - swimming and cycling are also good for hips) as it can make a big difference to how long you can postpone surgery, and to your recovery rate after.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but I hope this helps.

• SimonL
    Options

Thanks Lilymary. I’ve had some physio but not progressed a request for steroid injections. Something to explore. Will definitely keep up the exercise.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

I don't know what to suggest @SimonL

I think revisions for hips are definitely possible, but understand if you are coping ok you might not want to 'rush' into surgery. I see you can still get about so well, but how are you sleeping? Are you in pain at night? and also how is your other hip/back doing are they being affected at all by the 'bad' hip throwing them out?

Definitely think about a steroid jab you have nothing to lose there. They can really work for some people.

Let us know what you decide. I know of a few people on here who have had joint replacements for much longer than the predicted 10-15 years they used to quote.

Take care

Toni x

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @SimonL I used to enjoy regular 9 mile walks but in the months before I had my hip replaced in 2021 I was only able to stand or walk more than 15 minutes and certainly couldn't manage to walk 7 miles. But I was fortunate that it didn't affect my sleep very much. I was told that x-rays aren't necessarily a good indicator of the degree of pain that a person would suffer. Some have an x-ray which seems serious but causes the person little pain whereas others suffer far more than their x-ray would suggest.

Replacement hip materials and operation techniques are constantly improving. I believe replacement hips currently last 20+ years but those now being fitted should last longer but only time will tell. The expected life will also depend upon how you treat it. For example, you can run with a replacement hip but the impact loading might reduce the hip's lifespan.

Whether you decide to have a replacement either now or later keep exercising as much as possible as I'm convinced it helped me before and after the operation.

• SimonL
    Options

Hi @RogerBill good advice thank you

• Edgey_75
    Edgey_75 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi @SimonL 👋

I’m 47 and have severe arthritis in my right hip, my quality of life us quite poor, I can’t walk very far at all without pain and I’ve a constant limp! I can’t stand unsupported for longer then a couple of minutes and I’m struggling to carry on working as a childminder.

I have been seeing my consultant on the NHS for nearly 2 years but I’ve been told they’re reluctant to operate and give me a hip replacement because of my age.

I’ve had Physio, take painkillers and I’ve had a cortisone shot, which for me, only lasted for 3 weeks max!

Ive felt so desperate and have decided to go down the private route. I’m booked in for my hip replacement on 22nd February, I actually can’t wait! I know it’s not going to be easy, but I’m so determined to feel normal again!

I’m looking forward to going clothes shopping with my girls and on holiday as a family when I won’t be relying on a stick for support!

My advise to you is, if you are at the point where your quality of life is compromised and you can’t even manage a short walk without pain, then go for a hip replacement! For me it’s about the here and now, I’m not even thinking about how long the replacement will last.

But if you feel your life isn’t too compromised by your hip at the moment, then wait a bit longer, have a cortisone shot and see how you get on. Everyone is different.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Terri x

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi Edgey, 22nd February will soon be here and you can start living your life again. A lot older than you at 67, but I got to the stage that I couldn't stand the pain any longer and had my op 9 weeks ago. Fortunately I had mine paid by NHS. So unfair you are having to pay for your op.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any advice the lovely people in this group will be here for you.

• SimonL
    Options

Hi @Edgey_75

Thanks for your comment and good luck for 22nd…look forward to hearing more about how life improves for you.

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

I had my hip replacement aged 58 in 2016. Best thing I ever did. How long HR lasts is due to many factors, but I would say look after your joint, don’t do extreme sports, even tennis and jogging are not advisable, all that twisting and jarring are not good! Walking is excellent as is swimming. I’ve read that research has shown that replacement joints are lasting a lot longer than was first thought. Of course sometimes they fail, for example after a fall, but I wouldn’t hesitate to have my other one done if and when necessary. Recovery is also surprisingly quick. Crutches gone at 2 weeks then driving at 7 weeks. Just keep up the physio exercises.

• Deeryx
    Deeryx Member Posts: 7
    Options

My situation is somewhat similar and I was, and still am, agonising over whether to have my left hip replaced. It was fine until I slipped and banged it at home about 3 years ago. I have found some of the advice not very helpful in making a decision. For example, I get a lot of stiffness after about 5k walking (but your 7 miles sounds great!) but this is not quite the same as pain. Surgeon suggested a replacement but said ' we operate for pain not stiffness". I know I will have to have a replacement and like you can manage on the odd naproxen (I try to avoid taking too many). I can still get around the golf course (or at least could last year, we'll see!). I find it frustrating on holidays when usually more walking is involved and I can't do what I would like. My phsyio said to me that I don't really want to be in the position of being wheeled into theatre and wondering if I am doing teh right thing. So I will have the operation when I am fully sure the benefits will be greater than the risks. From what you write, it sounds like you are still some way off needing a replacement. By the way, I have found cold laser therapy helpful and have a device at home that I use almost very day.

best wishes