Osteoarthritis and RA

Cody
Cody Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I’ve been diagnosed with both arthritis’s plus I also have polymyalgia. I require a knee replacement but because of having several things going on my orthopaedic says it could be risky so we are trying a knee brace, walking stick and pain meds.

I wondered if anyone else had been told a replacement could be risky. Although have been given a letter stating can be seen again within next year if pain unbearable.

my RA has been bad past few weeks as well I hurt in every joint. Has anyone any ideas on how to help. I have been put on a list for a cancellation as my follow up appointment isn’t until September. I am on 25mg methotrexate by injection but seems to have stopped helping I’m also on prednisone for Addisons even painkillers don’t seem to help now.

I feel as if my whole life now resolves around arthritis I’m 68 and been suffering for 3 + years so there’s a lot of you out there been suffering longer than me.

thanks for reading

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @Cody and welcome to the online community,

Youve been diagnosed with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis as well as polymyalgia, and your RA has been bad these past few weeks. Although you need a knee replacement, your orthopaedic consultant has recommended you try a knee brace, walking stick and medication first because of other things going on. You’d like to hear from others who have also been told that a replacement could be risky.

I’m sure many of our members will understand a little of what you’re going through, and I hope that some will share their experiences of knee pain, surgery and alternative treatments.

I’ve attached a link below to the Versus Arthritis page on knee replacement. As well as replacement surgery, it also discusses alternative treatments and ways you can help with the pain:

I’m also sending you a link to some information about pain management which might also be helpful.

Do have a look round the forum and join in with any conversations you feel comfortable with - everyone very friendly and supportive.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85

Hi @Cody , I’m so sorry you’re in such a lot of pain at the moment. I haven’t had a knee replacement but I’ve had RA for over 40 years and I just want to say I know how hard it can be when you’re having a flare - it feels like you’re never going to come through it. But these flares won’t last for ever, and you will come through it, and life will be bearable again. I know other people on the forum would agree. The other thing I want to say is, I’ve found that my medication never seems to stay effective for ever. I think I’ve found the right mix then after a few years, I have to have it reviewed and changed. I’m not sure how long you’ve been in the methotrexate ( and it does take quite a few weeks to kick in if you’ve only just started treatment) but if you’ve been on it a while it might be worth asking for a review at your next meeting with the consultant. Which I hope is really soon.

All the best, Rina x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Morning @Cody

I am so lad your appointment has been brought forwards nothing worse than constant pain. Do you kow what your bloods are like at the moment? Do they suggest the disease is under control?

Not sure what the 'risk' is either.

Many of us on here have actually had replacement surgery who have both RA (or another inflammatory Arthritis) and OA.

Of course trying a brace and walking aids is worth a go, but you know your body best of all.

We all understand pain here and care about each other it doesn't matter how long you've had your RA for we care.

Toni x