😩 Constant tummy pain with MTX…

Options

Hi, I’ve been taking MTX for the last three months and everything was fine, just some headache and tiredness the next day but totally bearable.

I had my first review/appointment this week and the nurse was happy with my blood test results and said that there is nothing to worry about, however, since last Saturday I started to feel unwell, my stomach hurts (the burning sensation is constant) and I have a funny feeling in my mouth like dryness and bad taste. I’m a bit worried. Is that a normal side effect? It will go away?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @ClaudiaAre

I think if I was you I would contact a member of my medical team for advice. This doesn't sound great. Of course it could easily be a 'bug' you've picked up, but best to find out.

If MTX is working really well for you they might let you take it by injection instead thereby I think bypassing your stomach.

Do let us know how you get on

Toni x

Ps do you take a PPI? like omeprazole or lansoprazole for your stomach at all?

• ClaudiaAre
    ClaudiaAre Member Posts: 4
    edited 1. Feb 2023, 15:15
    Options

Thank you for the advice @frogmorton, yes, I’m going to contact the rheumatology team for advice and maybe try the injections instead.

I was told not to take omeprazole because folic acid will help but I’ll double check with them.

Thanks again Tony x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Best of luck @ClaudiaAre I agree folic acid can help, but maybe you need a little more.

Let us know how you get on if you can.

Toni x