Awaiting total knee replacement - so many questions

Options
happygeek
happygeek Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello - I'm a 59 year old chap who, since around September last year, has been pretty much housebound thanks to the OA in my right knee. Luckily I work from home (journalist) or I'd be stuffed.

My mobility is compromised not only thanks to the knee pain/stability, but also down to me having had extensive spinal surgery two years ago which left me with very weak shoulders/arms. End result, I'm scared to go out because if I fall I'll faceplant the pavement. My arms aren't strong enough to save me.

Good news is that I'm listed for TKR surgery at the end of March (was referred to Spire on the NHS and saw consultant in Jan, so hugely thankful and know I'm very lucky) but am left wondering what the recovery phase will be like, given the arm weakness. I walk with a stick currently, used same side as bad knee as my right arm is strongest, but already struggle on the stairs. I'm guessing that physio will look after me and come up with the best solution, but it does leave me rather anxious, truth be told.

Anyway, that turned into a very long hello. Apologies!

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @happygeek

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have OA in your knee which seriously affects your mobility. You’re scheduled for TKR surgery and are concerned about managing the recovery period due to weakness in your arms as a result of previous spinal surgery.

You’ve certainly come to the right place to ask for input from others who have undergone similar surgery.

Whilst you await feedback from forum members you may find this link useful:

Also, here’s an existing discussion in the forum which you may wish to join in on:

Good luck with you operation, do come back and let us know how your recovery goes.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Livealonewithdog
    Options

I both empathise and sympathise with your situation, Happygeek. I've had both lumbar and cervical spinal surgery in the past and now have spinal stenosis in my left leg. The MRI that I had on my left knee a year ago showed bone on bone arthritis which has worsened dramatically since then. I'm not scheduled for a total knee replacement on 3 March and am absolutely terrified - both because of my medical history plus that I'm almost 65 and live alone with my 11 year old dog - who's my only family. I don't have any friends or other backup and despite it being a NHS operation, it's at a Spire Hospital - who've said that they don't 'get involved ' with any kind of 'reablement discussion ' before discharge.