Excruciating stomach pains with steroids

Options
Bertie_brace2022
Bertie_brace2022 Member Posts: 32
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi All

I’m in the middle of a flare, back on steroids but for the first time ever I have been having excoriating stomach pains. I’ve been on steroids 3 times since last year and never had this before. I also noticed that my pain, muscle aches and general symptoms from the awful myosotis disease are worse than before I was on them.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I do have the doctors tomorrow so will mention it but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this before.

Jay

xx

Comments

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Jay

Sorry to see that you are feeling in a lot of pain.

Are you taking a stomach liner like omeprazole when you take your steroid pills? Could it be that they are irritating your stomach?

Hope you got some answers at the doctors today.

• Bertie_brace2022
    Options

Hi @janiebin

Thank you for your message, this is the first time I’ve ever felt like this on steroids. The doctor told me to stop them straight away and double up on my omeprazole for 5 days. They have made me feel worse than before I started them so no point carrying on with them as they’re not doing anything.

They’re usually the only thing that get me out a hole!! Not this time though sadly.

Back to feeling pants again, something I’m quite used to now. 🥲

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I hope you'll soon be feeling a bit better, @Bertie_brace2022 .

Just for the record, for the benefit of others reading this PLEASE DON'T EVER STOP STEROIDS WIÞHOUT THE DOC'S ADVICE. Unless we've only been on them a very short time it can be really dangerous.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bertie_brace2022
    Options

@stickywicket

Thank you so much,

And yes absolutely agree, no one should stop steroids without consultation from a doctor first.

xxxx