New

Options
Laine
Laine Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I've been diagnosed with spinal / hip osteoarthritus. Over the last 5 months my outer thighs and knees are increasingly painful. It's difficult to walk and the pain wakes me up. It's stopping me from going out. I think I may have osteo in my knees now , but my surgery have limited spaces and nobody has rechecked my meds for 18 months so I'm not confident they will help me. 😢. Does anyone else have osteo in a number of places and do people suffer with thigh and knee pain?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 993
    Options

Hello @Laine and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been diagnosed with spine and hip osteoarthritis and wondering if you now have it in your thighs and knees. Have a look through the following and see if it helps

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi, and welcome to this forum. You say your surgery has limited spaces, and you haven't been seen for 18 months. You deserve one of those spaces!! I'd really be persistent and ask for a face to face appointment - your condition will have deteriorated in that time and your meds and future treatment options need to be reviewed. Arthritis really shouldn't be brushed aside when the pain is affecting your quality of life and disrupting your sleep. If you feel your doc isn't taking you seriously, ask to see someone in the practice to has an interest in arthritis or musculo skeletal problems generally. Too many GPs still don't take arthritis seriously, which is shameful in my opinion.

Hip arthritis can lead to referred pains in your legs generally, and your posture may have changed to accommodate your crumbling hip, which puts a strain on other joints. Exercises specific to hip joints and the spine may be helpful to you - there are some on this site, or ask to see a physio who can put an exercise programme together for you. Bear in mind this needs to be done every day (it's not particularly stressful) and will take a few months to really see the benefit, but it is worth it. If there's a long list for NHS physios (which is more than likely) private Chartered Physiotherapists really aren't that expensive and have much shorter waiting lists.