Good evening,

I have a quick question but a long ramble regarding care and treatment. I have a long history of back 'trouble' and 'aches and pains'. I have been referred to rheumatology several times, had x rays and mris. Last March I was referred again but this time to the msk clinic where I saw a physio then was told to go back to see a senior physio. He arranged an mri and went through the results with me. I have had no blood tests. He arranged a referral for a spinal injection which didn't help the pain. I have now been referred to the pain clinic. I wondered if, in your experience, it is usual to not see a specialist as I feel the physio, who has been great, hasn't anything else to offer. The mri shows arthritis in hips and spine, spinal stenosis, 3 prolapsed discs, trapped sciatic nerve and the usual degenerative disc disease. December was particularly bad and after a week's slight reprieve in January I have now exacerbated the issue again and am struggling to walk. I can't continue like this. Thanks if you have managed to read all of my ramblings. I would love to hear about your experiences regarding treatment and diagnosis.




  • movingslowly
    movingslowly Member Posts: 64

    Hi @Lilydog66

    Can you ask the MSK or your GP for a referral to Rheumatology if that's what you'd like to happen?

    I don't know the process for diagnosis. I only know what happened for me and even then I can't be certain my route was usual 🤷🏼‍♀️

  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,035

    Hi Lily @Lilydog66

    I hope you will get some real help at the pain clinic. There are consultants who work at them so you could well see a specialist.

    If your arthritis is not an inflammatory type (like Rheumatoid arthritis or Psoriatic Arthritis) we don't usually see a rheumatologist. Sometimes you'd see an orthopaedic consultant if surgery is an option. I saw an orthopedic surgeon for my back operation and rheumatology for my inflammatory arthritis.

    I think the pain clinic could really be a good place to start to get some answers and hopefully a plan to help you.

    Take care

    Toni x

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,608

    I would echo all that @frogmorton has said. My rheumatologist deals with my RA and my GP and orthopaedic surgeon with my OA. My guess is that past blood tests were to rule out an inflammatory arthritis. Now you have been referred to the pain clinic who will deal with your OA issues unless surgery is deemed helpful. I hope something will help. Pain is a pain😆

    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright