After surgery

Options

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, I had my fist hip replacement many years ago before I was 50, I was really happy with result, in September 2021 had the other hip replaced, again very happy until after about 8 months after when I started to get pain from hip and quite frankly some days the pain is as severe as it was prior to op. I have emailed my gp but as yet heard nothing, I also have severe pain in my lower back.Feel low as it seems I have gone back to square one

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Good morning @Pipster123 welcome to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

I see from your post that you have had both hips replaced the most recent being 8 moths ago. All seemed well until 8 months later when you started to experience severe pain in the hip again and your back.

There is a wealth of experience here amongst our members I am sure some them will be along soon to share their own stories with you. In the meantime I wonder whether this might be something you think could help you:

You say you have emailed your GP about the problem and as yet received no response. I wonder whether you feel the time is now right for you to try to get a face to face appointment with them?

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options

Hi @Pipster123 nice to meet you.

I think if I was in your shoes I'd definitely be wanting to see my Gp and asking for help.

I don't know whether any of our regular hippies like @Lilymary or @RogerBill or @LizB12 can help at all? They all had hip surgery in the last year or so along with a few others. Can't remember everyone's usernames ATM sorry.

Take care

Toni

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

Are you due a follow up appointment with your surgeon? If not it might be worth ringing his secretary to see if you could have one. Or just an x-ray to check that all is well. I'm not sure how likely it is that your GP would have read an email. They are very easy to lose among a ton of others.

It's quite possible that you just have some mild back problem that's impacting the hip. But it's definitely best to know not just hope for the best.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I agree, your surgeon needs to have a look at this. You shouldn’t be needing ongoing pain relief at this stage. I hope you can get an appointment soon. I’ve had ongoing pain since immediately after surgery but this is due to an unusual problem with the psoas tendon, and we’re still working on it. It seems to be less common for the pain to start so long after surgery.