Any guidance on which kind of work l can do

Options

Hi,

I have Pa which effects my hands, kness, back and hips.

l have been working in the care sector for over 10 years now. I really enjoy my job but now l am finding it difficult, as with having to do 10 hr shifts is taking it's toll on me. My flare-ups are becoming more frequent and because l work for an agency , then l don't get paid for being off. So that alone is a stress which won't help my body too. I am also going to apply for any benefits that could help out as well so if anyone has advice on that would be grateful. I still want to work but l am not sure which role to go for.

How does everyone else cope and do you have a job that suits y'all.

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hi @V8skull1,

Others in the community might have some suggestions and advice for you, but you might also be interested in this Versus Arthritis website page which gives some helpful information about working with arthritis:

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• movingslowly
    Options

Hi @V8skull1

Is there any way you can turn 10 hour shifts into 3 x 3.5hrs?

I had to give up 10 hr days (fifty hour week) just before Christmas. The company I worked for was tiny -( no HR/Occ Health) asking for time off for bi weekly blood tests on first starting Dmards earned me the label of nuisance and it was regularly commented upon how inconvenient my consultant appointments and blood tests were to the business.

I finished there (thank god) and have since picked up two alternate part time positions with my aim being to include a third soon to make up my hours.

One job could be loosely described as a carer, the other a bit of cleaning. Neither have the same range of repetitive movements so I'm not overusing one particular set of joints for 10 hours straight. That make any sense?

I'm getting a break in between my different jobs. One job has my using my knees, hips, neck more but they're rested in my second job because I'll usr my upperbody (arms/shoulders/ hands) more. Do you get me?

It seems to be working for me at the moment. It's early days yet so only time will tell. I need to keep moving/working while I still can to help free up joints and strengthen muscle groups. I like the clients, routine and social aspects of working too. I'd be useless on benefits.

• carnation
    carnation Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have the same problem and am also looking for alternative work,but difficult when you are used to being so mobile.Don't give up looking,your experience is valuable.

• carnation
    carnation Member Posts: 2
    Options

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @carnation and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Yes sometimes we have to try and get different work when circumstances change, but as you rightly say we all have skills which are transferable. You just need to find what is right for you - I hope you get something soon.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Paphos2010
    Options

Hi im in the same position im a carer and usually work 12 hr shift twice a week but at moment ive yet to return to my job due to still using crutches its so hard to try find a job that is suitable were are in the process or waiting to see if we can get benefits im so worried we wont be able to i have three children and a husband that works 14hrs a day * 5 days so i worry if i go back to my carers job i could end up worse i hope u find something that is suitable for u

• tru70
    tru70 Member Posts: 3
    Options

hi there, i'm on sick at the moment been of just over 9mths and i'm stressing out wondering what the out come is going to be, as i've already been told i'm not allowed to back onto the ward working, i'm heart broken that they could do that after i've been working on the ward for nearly 21 years.