Liz w

Options
Lizw
Lizw Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello I'm liz I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in December last year and I'm finding it hard to walk long distances, I'm a community carer and tell work that it's hard but they just say they have no one else I have had 8 visits on monday, 5 yesterday 7 today 6 tomorrow and 3 on Friday, my knees are hurting I had the pain under control until this week now I've been falling and hurt myself as my knees gave way.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Lizw and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your knees and it looks like your job is demanding and a lot of walking. Our website has some useful information which might help and I've put a couple of links in below.

and also

It may be worth talking to your GP about some pain relief (you do not say if you have anything prescribed) or other aids that could help such as knee supports. I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences.

Once again welcome and please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

That doesn't sound good at all. I have OA in my left hip & have been putting off discussing surgery, mostly because I'm a big scaredy cat. My line in the sand has lately been, I'll go when it causes me to actually fall down.

Your job seems to be adding unnecessary and unwanted stress. I think you should keep telling them that you need a lighter work load--I understand their desire to get the most from fewest employees, but I also know that many employers will work folks to death if allowed. Sometimes changes need to be made. I no longer work because there is just not much that I can do with my physical limitations, although my husband teases me about my wanting to be a lady of leisure. We are lucky that we are fine on one income; if not I would have to find work that would not require much physical strain or look into getting assistance (here in the US disability payments are notoriously difficult to get and pitifully small). I really hope you find some sort of solution!

Some small help might be found with physical therapy to get you more stable on your feet. Also, walking with a cane, at least for me, keeps me upright and surprisingly helps relieve some of the pain.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I think your work is supposed, by law, to make reasonable adjustments which, in your case, might meàn fewer visits. However, we all know the chronic state of the care industry right now. I guess they will be reluctant. Why not see if Citizens Advice could help? Or, just check out the government website on màking adjustments for disabled employees?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

hi, @Lizw.

There is an obligation on employers to help their employees who are cahllenged through illness or disability. Here is a link to start the ball rolling:

You could also talk to our Helpline on 0800 5200 520

Good luck, CCM