Bronchiectasis and Arthritis

Options

Hi all

I have Osteoarthritis and Asthma and following a referral from my GP and CT scan and other tests I saw a respiratory consultant yesterday and was diagnosed with mild Bronchiectasis.

I know there is a connection with this and RA which I dont have but would be interested to know anyone else who has this too and how they cope.

I did find a post in the archives from 2011 but nothing else and the member doesn't appear to have been active for a while.

I had never heard of it and apparently quite rare? I've been told that as long as I stay well it shouldn't affect my upcoming surgery (should I lock myself in a secure room lol) on the 20th. She's also told me I must keep a course of antibiotics at home which she has given me. I also have to see physios to show me a daily must do routine but how long that will be is like asking how long is a piece of string

Sorry this is so long but although she said don't worry is a mild case it s pretty scary and it's just one more thing to add to my list of stuff to cope with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Love n hugs

Trish xx

Comments

• movingslowly
    movingslowly Member Posts: 64
    Options

Morning @Trish9556

I haven't been diagnosed with this myself and I've only done a brief search concerning treatments (on the NHS site) as I'm sure you may well have done yourself.

There were several suggestions amongst which was a mention of a hand held device that uses both air and vibration to loosen mucus/phlegm. The site gave no mention of the name for this particular gadget. I don't suppose you know what it's called?

Apparently the NHS don't supply them and I'd have to buy it myself

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

Hi @movingslowly

Thank you.

I've done some research as well mainly looking for the exercises. Everything is telling me not to try self treatment until I've seen the physios. Sorry I don t know what the device is either.

I am keeping everything crossed that the physios at Oxford will take pity on me.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I think you're right to wait until shown though, from my all too vast experience, I know that breathing deeply and coughing up any mucus is important after surgery for anyone or anything. After release from hospital following my pneumonia, collapsed lung and several days on a ventilator I remember a conversation with a doctor friend.

"Did they teach you how to breathe?"

My usual, flippant self replied that I'd always used the bogstandard method - in and out.

Ruth looked at me for a minute then said "You're doing it correctly, using your abdomen."

By the way, I don't have bronchiestasis. I hope you soon find someone who does but I don't think it's very common even amongst us RAers. Costochondritis seems more.....er.....popular?

Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Options

thanks @stickywicket

I am probably breathing all wrong! After years of Asthma that may be Asthma and may not be but was confirmed yesterday and being given a variety of inhalers pills and potions to help it nobody has ever asked me how I breathe....difficult enough to speak to a GP let alone see one and ready about breathing from the abdomen I'm almost positive I do things the wrong way - always been told I'm awkward! My music teacher always tried to teach me to sing from my tummy and admitted defeat.

The consultant was very nice and although told me as at yesterday I was fit for surgery she was concerned that I had physio straight after I'm out of recovery and said she would write the letter herself as there was a long delay on letters being done and needed to make sure they got it before my surgery. My confidence in Doctors is increasing (or was until I phoned my GP but that's a different story lol).

Apparently it's only in about 1:100 people have this - always told my parents I was special and unique lol.

In the meantime I'll continue with the stickywicket method of in and out :)

love and hugs

Trish xx

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I've had asthma since I was 4 (with a short break, for some reason, in early adulthood) and no-one ever told me how to breathe with it. How to use the inhalers, yes: how to breathe, no. I'm just happy to keep practising😆

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Options

I wasn't even told how to use inhalers for 10 years!

I will continue to do my own thing for now. Been doing it for 66 years and still here so must be doing something right lol

Love n hugs

Trish xx